Any reason not to get a AL30, compared with a AL19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes the 30 look pretty good.

really how come?

As of this moment I'm actually leaning a 19 because from the looks of it, I'll probably be getting a AL40 when the time comes.

There's no problem money can't solve...

really how come?

As of this moment I'm actually leaning a 19 because from the looks of it, I'll probably be getting a AL40 when the time comes.

There's no problem money can't solve...
The buoyancy numbers aren’t as bad as I thought, I haven’t tried the 19 short, a have a few of the tall’s, all good but this makes me want to find a 30 to try.

The buoyancy numbers aren’t as bad as I thought, I haven’t tried the 19 short, a have a few of the tall’s, all good but this makes me want to find a 30 to try.

yeah that's one thing I'm considering now.

The short is attractive since it will be eaiser to pack for travel.

How are you strapping/mounting your long 19? is it just the standard stage kit and left/right sling?

Are you planning on traveling to dive (plane, not driving). If so you won't be able to pack an AL40 in your luggage. An AL30 does hold more gas, but my AL19 with valve is ~ 11lbs. If you check the bag, that is a large part of your 50 lb budget, add another 4-5 lbs and the picture is much worse.

Take your SAC, double it, and do the math on an ascent. At a 2.0 ft^3 minute SAC, a AL19 gives me gobs of time from 100'
If traveling and needing redundancy (always a good idea) go sidemount or bring rigging for Al80 stage, fill to only 2000 psi and it will float out of the way, increased drag is not as much of an issue as people think. It’s not an underwater race anyway. Locally, best all-around “pony” for single tank diving is Al40 imho.

Thanks all for the discussions here.

Here's what I learnt.

Travelling is indeed a factor for me or at least the ability to fly with it.
Flying with a 30 seems to be way harder than a 19.
And for future tec extensibility, it seems the generally consensus is that AL40 is better, than a AL30.

So the conclusion, for me at least, is that instead of wanting to have 1 tank that do everything, it's probably better to have 2 tanks.

a AL19, or even AL13, for OC solo, both local and travel
(And I also like the idea of using the smaller tank to soak my reg sets.)

And in future when needed, get a AL40 for whatever that is needed for.

If traveling and need redundancy go sidemount or bring rigging for Al80 stage, fill to only 2000 psi and it will float out of the way, increased drag is not as much of an issue as people think. It’s not an underwater race anyway. Locally, best all-around “pony” for single tank diving is Al40 imho.

hmm this is an interesting idea. Wouldn't it be too long to sling on the left?

My (gifted) 19 is my suit bottle when I need one, a redundant air source for shallow ice dives, my redundant source for when I am testing regulators after service, and other compressed air fun. Air and EANx at 3k is fine in a 30, but with lower pressure fills of 100% O2, the 40 becomes important depending on DECO time.... If you eventually go tech, the money spent now on a 19/30 will be of little importance.

My (gifted) 19 is my suit bottle when I need one, a redundant air source for shallow ice dives, my redundant source for when I am testing regulators after service, and other compressed air fun. Air and EANx at 3k is fine in a 30, but with lower pressure fills of 100% O2, the 40 becomes important depending on DECO time.... If you eventually go tech, the money spent now on a 19/30 will be of little importance.

Thanks! this pretty much aligns with my thinking as of now!

Curious your 19 is it the short 14inch high one or taller 17 inch one?

The taller one, but with being 6'7", it still is a small bottle...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom