I want to be fit & trim - but HATE exercising!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to keep butting into your ladies threads, they keep popping to the top. In Oct 2017 I weighed 198# (I am 5'10"). I worked out like crazy, skipped meals and nothing helped. I tried keto. I lost 30# before xmas, and another 9# by spring waterski season. I had to put weight back on. What I learned in the process was that nothing you can do in the gym would offset what you ate or drank.

I know men and women are different but I changed my diet to a very boring meat cheese salad and veggie regimen until the lbs came off and then I kept that dies with the occasional cheat meal or two here and there.

The two biggest challenges were:

1. The 1st two weeks - pure hell as you starve your body of the carbs it craves.
2. Having to retrain yourself at the grocery store. I had to read EVERY LABEL for sugar/carb content.

The theory behind keto is to retrain your body to use fat instead of carbs to fuel your body. I would not call what I do now as keto but I definitely watch carb and sugar intake.

I do have a list of awesome products I still buy today that won't hurt the diet and willing to share if interested.

Sorry to keep butting into your ladies threads, they keep popping to the top. In Oct 2017 I weighed 198# (I am 5'10"). I worked out like crazy, skipped meals and nothing helped. I tried keto. I lost 30# before xmas, and another 9# by spring waterski season. I had to put weight back on. What I learned in the process was that nothing you can do in the gym would offset what you ate or drank.

I know men and women are different but I changed my diet to a very boring meat cheese salad and veggie regimen until the lbs came off and then I kept that dies with the occasional cheat meal or two here and there.

1. The 1st two weeks - pure hell as you starve your body of the carbs it craves.
2. Having to retrain yourself at the grocery store. I had to read EVERY LABEL for sugar/carb content.

The theory behind keto is to retrain your body to use fat instead of carbs to fuel your body. I would not call what I do now as keto but I definitely watch carb and sugar intake.

I do have a list of awesome products I still buy today that won't hurt the diet and willing to share if interested.
Please list the awesome products!

I did keto for two years. It just wasn't sustainable for me. I couldn't go the rest of my life without being able to grab fruit when I wanted it. If I'd 'cheat' and have a banana I'd feel SO bloated. It just didn't feel right to have to skip out on the most natural snacks on the planet - fruit! But I learned that carbs really aren't as necessary as I had previously thought. My advice is to find a way to change what you eat, in a way that is sustainable in the long run, for YOU. It it's keto, great. If it's something else, great. I'm glad this has worked out so well for you. :)

I think one of the most important factors is making being able to exercise easy and quick. If you're able to run, that is always easy. I had early onset osteoarthritis and had my hips replaced at a relatively early age. We have always had exercise equipment in our home. First a Nordic Track and a stair climber, now an elliptical trainer. We have had a multi-position weight machine since the earlier equipment. We have a lap pool for the season. When you can conveniently exercise every day, it is much, much easier.

Just about everyone has access to walking. Unfortunately, if you've previously had heart issues you won't be able to walk outside when it's super hot or super cold. But most of the time, it's 'safe' and available. There are unlimited 'at home' routines you can find on the internet. Even starting with doing 3 burpees a day is a start - no equipment necessary. Or just start with stretching (man, I need to do that - I could do splits when I was in high school but I think I'd pull something very badly if I tried that right now!).

My apartment building was constructed on the cheap; my downstairs neighbors complain about me walking barefoot in my home. I'm kind of tempted to try burpees to give them something real to complain about, but I won't. I'm moving to a house soon, where I look forward to running and/or riding my bike around the neighborhood on tree-lined streets, jumping rope in my backyard, and dancing around my living room.

My apartment building was constructed on the cheap; my downstairs neighbors complain about me walking barefoot in my home. I'm kind of tempted to try burpees to give them something real to complain about, but I won't. I'm moving to a house soon, where I look forward to running and/or riding my bike around the neighborhood on tree-lined streets, jumping rope in my backyard, and dancing around my living room.

LOL! Maybe on your last week in the apartment you could do a few burpees just for fun! I've lived in those kinds of apartments and it's very limiting. We always knew when the guy above us was 'entertaining'. :bellydance:

Some years ago I did weightwatchers, when you counted the points, and I was very good at it (point counting). for 2 weeks I "won" best of the week. Unfortunately they looked at my book. Those weeks I'd been on exhibitions so the majority of those points were alcohol. They weren't impressed - but it worked (short term) and was fun:cheers:

Another more interesting point. Some years ago on the BBC they had a 10 facts about weight loss and diets program. The most surprising experiment was this

At lunch they gave a bunch of Army recruits a meal of chicken and rice + water 50% had the food as a solid and the water to drink, the other 50% had it liquidised as a soup

Post lunch they were all given an ultrasound to measure the fullness of their stomachs and sent off for exercise over an assault course

Later that afternoon they rescanned all the recruits. Those that had eaten the meal as a soup still had quite full stomachs whereas those that had eaten the meal as solids with a drink were nearly empty. This was apparently because with the soup it took the body longer to process the contents, so they stayed fuller for longer.

Please list the awesome products!

Lots of meats and cheeses:

Parmesan Cheese Whisps (Costco) – 150 cal and 1g carb – or I buy coarsely graded parm and bake my own crisps.

Hormel turkey peperoni

Omelets and turkey bacon breakfasts are great.

Orange juice is awesome but really fattening, I replaced OJ with Great Value Orange Early Rise

I only drink diet sodas and Great Value powdered drink mixes

Minute made zero sugar pink lemonade and fruit punch

Also, if you need an island drink, try the DIET 5 ocean spray brand cran mango with a shot of rum

If you must drink beer, I drink Corona Permier – 90 cal, 2.5 carbs per beer

Skinny pop popcorn, but limit my intake. Less than 3 cups.

Dry roasted peanuts are great – 40 nuts = 6 grams of carbs and 170 calories

I do steaks, chicken, and salads as much as I want.

I did eliminate A LOT of foods I ate before – bread, potatoes, rice, corn, potato chips, tortillas, candy, chocolate. On the very rare occasion I want bread or a tortilla, now I limit it to one tortilla, or if I hit Whataburger, I eat only ½ the bun.

There is a website out there: Ruling the Keto Diet & Getting in Shape - Guides | Recipes | Tips and it taught me alot and has GREAT recipes.

And BTW – don’t fall for anything that says it will make you lose weight – it’s a scam. Earting right is 75% of it, 30 min of exercise / day is 25% of it. And it takes 100 % of discipline.

I have also been using 3 apps on my [Android] phone:

1. Home Workout – No Equipment – after 2 monthss, I am starting to see my six pack abs coming back.
  2. GPS Speedometer – I use this app when biking. Measures time, speed, distance, max speed, average speed
  3. I am also using a 3rd app to track carbs – Carb Manager

[...] eating healthy foods and dropping the soda pop and other junk helps you be healthy and is the easiest and best way to maintain decent weight. Exercising is how you keep your body strong and fit. Both are important, and they're separate but related.

Strength, cardio fitness, flexibility -- and nutrition. Four legs (at least) to that stool.

Everything I've been told supports the reality that muscle burns fat, even at rest, so I need to build more muscle.

It helps; you can increase your basal metabolic rate -- some; but speaking of which...

[...]for weight loss alone exercise is not very efficient. Jogging only burns about 100 calories per mile, and you have to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound. That means to lose a pound a week, you'd have to run five miles a day.

...and the really depressing thing is that lying still on the floor just breathing for an hour will burn about 60 kcal, so exercise doesn't burn as much more as the machines would like you to think.

There's a saying: Gain muscle in the gym; lose weight in the kitchen.

Dang, Jenny! It's good to be remembered. So happy you've been making so much progress, and give kudos to yourself. After all, YOU did the work, YOU followed through.

As to the sentiment of the original post--hating exercise but wanting the results--I cannot blame the OP. Unfortunately, exercise has been turned into an unpleasant chore with a punitive flavor, and the the worst thing that the fitness industry could've done is to equate exercise to weight loss.

One of the reasons you don't see me on SB as often is because I've been quite busy with my education and my practice. Though I always knew that there's so much more to exercise than just burning calories, everything I've been learning has been confirming it is so.

Exercise should be a pleasurable means to learn, acquire, and refine skills--that's why kettlebells are so much fun. Contrast that to the boring and mindless experience that most people are used to at regular fitness facilities, where they just move from one station to the next, attention barely engaged, counting reps, and putting a weight down not because they were challenged, but because they reached a number.

My advice to the OP is to find something that challenges you skill-wise, as in learning. Practice it for a few months until you reach a basic level of mastery, then pick a new skill to learn and forget about the original one. After a few months, once you've reached a level of mastery, forget about it and return to your previous skill. You'd be surprised at how much proficiency you'll acquire--that's what makes exercise pleasurable.

Wishing you all a joyous day.

OH MY GOSH!!! Wasn't sure if linking your account you would show up or not. So good to "See" you here!!!! How the heck are you???

Weight Watchers has changed a lot over the years. You still count points, but it's in an app. There is a total number of points per day you strive for.. Good news is there are a lot of 0 point foods, and no restrictions on what to eat. It's all up to the individual how to spend those points. I know how many points a shot of rum, a glass of wine, light beer, premium beer has..

Back
Top Bottom