Insta360 with 1" Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A.Y.

Registered
Reaction score

Anyone has underwater experience with this Insta360 camera with an 1" sensor, 4K 60P option, and a 60m (196.9ft) housing? I've seen a few YouTube videos, showing it has much better low-light performance under and above water than GoPros. Does it overheat inside the housing and how's the battery life?

I just made some dives with my Insta360 and the 1" Leica sensor with the original housing from Insta360. I flooded my first Insta360 because Anti Fog Inserts got between the seal. So be careful with it. The Insta360 without the Lens Cap (you have to take it away for fitting into the hosuing) is not waterproof by itself. Do not expect great support from Insta360. They will ask you to ship your broken Camera to the other side of the world which is very expensive.

I made some dives in Cenotes (bad lighting) and at Cozumel in the ocean (very good visibility and a lot of natural light). I never used any special video lights, just a normal torch in Cenotes.

Video Quality in Cenotes (bad lighting):
The Video Quality was compared to the Panasonic DC-FT7 fabulous! Where the Panasonic Camera just made black videos, the Insta360 was able to catch some great scenes. Sharp Photos were not possible.

Video Quality in Cozumel (very good visibility and a lot of natural light):
The Videos are razorblade sharp BUT everything is blue. Also if I try to activate "AquaVision" in the Insta360-App for exporting the Videos, the colors are just really bad! I've tried to change the color temperature, brightness, etc. with Shotcut and Magix Video Editor but the result was still pretty bad. At Cozumel the sand is really white, in the videos sometimes it looks overlighted because of the sun reflection. I had a Panasonic DC-FT7 with me on the dives. The color quality and at all the video quality was way more better! I will

Regarding your questions:
- I make 5.3k Videos and the battery consumption is pretty ok an will last about for one 50 Minutes dive
- It does not overheat but make sure to use Anti Fog inserts

Let me know, if you want to see some footages.

What are your thoughts on the X2 with dive housing? I just got mine and tried it out here:

Seems like the 1" would be better in low light although I wonder how much.
-E

I just shot this with my 360 X2 in a housing. Marginal at best and the stitching was a mess. This was at an underground cave in No. Florida.

Devil's Den snorkeling vid

1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom