Coffee on dive trips and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love good coffee, and I hope you people who are bringing these brewing contraptions to liveaboards and resorts continue to do so, so that the liveaboards and resorts can get a clue that good coffee is increasingly important to us pampered foreigners. :) If they were to offer espresso at the same sort of additional cost that they offer alcoholic beverages it might work out well for them.
I just hope they don't replace their automatic drip coffeemakers with Keurig or other single-cup brewers, as a lot of hotels have done. I'm not a coffee snob; while I can appreciate the difference between standard drip coffee and the fancy stuff, the standard drip is just fine for me. (And I do drink it black, and I do not consider adding sweetener to be "black.") But I hate, hate, hate Keurig coffee and its clones. It's also terrible for the environment, so I enjoy feeling righteous about my distaste. :p

I've never been on a liveaboard, so I'm not sure how much space is available.

I'm a coffee snob, roast my own beans, espresso machine, 2 grinders, french press, aero press, Harrio V60 for pour over, drink it black etc, etc.

I take my pour over grinder and the V60 with a few filters as it's the easiest and most compact, nice clean cup. I put everything in a milk cart anytime we go away. I also take an electric kettle, but a thermometer and a boiling pot of water would work. I don't use boiling water for coffee. Depending what kind of coffee it is, usually anywhere from 165f-185f (which is why the thermometer would be a must for me). To me, boiling water over extracts the coffee and it tastes bitter.

They make hand grinders, but a good one with consistent grind size can get expensive ($250-$300). They are really nice, and there's something about making coffee in the morning and enjoying the silence (my grinder kills that). I do not own a hand grinder, but a buddy of mine has one and he says it's great for going anywhere.

You'll get sub par coffee this way, it'll degrade a lot faster than beans freshly ground.

I will bring something I like, and also pick something up while I'm away for the same reason. It's a hit or miss (which is why I bring something I like).

Just realized the aero press would probably be more compact, but I tend to prefer the cleaner cup with the V60.

Are we not supposed to post in the woman's forum? If not, my apologies.

I just read my post.... I sound like an old man, lol.

My new bestie! I also roast my own beans, have an espresso machine and consider anything less to be 'swill'. I've turned my husband into a coffee snob too. But ... when we go on vacation I think of coffee as a means of getting caffeine into my system - not as 'coffee'! So whatever is there, I drink. I used to bring my aeropress and my own beans and hand grinder - but in the end, it takes up too much precious space. So ... it is what it is.

But tell me when and where you're going and I'll be over for coffee!! :wink:

I love coffee but I’m not super picky—I’ll drink whatever is available as long as it’s not the burnt hockey puck at the bottom of the pot!
I have been on a couple of liveaboards that had wonderful coffee. One had an espresso machine (wonderful, though it took forever to get us all that first cup in the morning) and one in Indonesia had Balinese coffee, which I loved.

The vietnamese coffee maker is different then a french press in that it tends to turn out to be a bolder coffee (nothing like Turkish coffee though), and you often have a very little grounds at the bottom of the coffee cup, but I also don't think I have the knack to using it just right yet either. That being said I can happily avoid drinking the last sip for a great cup of coffee. It's also so little that it takes up so little space in the luggage.

That aero looks really cool. I'm gonna look more into it, though it seems to be pretty big.

I also have a very slim foldable metal pour over filter for more of a drip coffee style. But I do need to bring a pack of filters for it. It flattens into the case the size of a CD, and it pops open and sits on the mug with the side metal pieces over the sides.
20210419_211414.jpeg
I definitely love my coffee. Haha.

Wouldn't it be easier to grind your beans just before a trip, and then place in a sealed bag?
Easier, but that has a big affect on flavor.

I'm proud to be a self-professed coffee snob, and I roast my own beans.

One rule of thumb is that green (unroasted) coffee beans should be used w/in 15 months of harvest, roasted coffee should be used within 15 days of roast, and ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes of grinding.

A hand grinder is a good travel option, and great exercise. :)

My new bestie! I also roast my own beans, have an espresso machine and consider anything less to be 'swill'. I've turned my husband into a coffee snob too. But ... when we go on vacation I think of coffee as a means of getting caffeine into my system - not as 'coffee'! So whatever is there, I drink. I used to bring my aeropress and my own beans and hand grinder - but in the end, it takes up too much precious space. So ... it is what it is.

I was grinding my own coffee, then decided to try the French Press ground coffee from the same local co., and it's good. But now I may try grinding some beans tomorrow and see how the coffee compares!

I never thought of myself as a coffee snob until I stopped drinking it completely for a couple of years because I hated the taste. Why? Because we had that darn Keurig maker and my husband insisted it was just fine, and I thought maybe something is wrong with ME.

Fast forward....we took the Keurig to Good Will and my husband drinks the French Press I make.

Lol:), nothing like being somewhere magical and being able to sip on a great cup of Joe! Sometimes it is a bit much, but I'm so accustomed to it now. The biggest pain is unplugging the grinder and removing the wire from behind my coffee bar. I will drink whatever is in the pot (so I guess I might not be a 100% true snob, lol), the worse the coffee the more cream it gets.

One rule of thumb is that green (unroasted) coffee beans should be used w/in 15 months of harvest, roasted coffee should be used within 15 days of roast, and ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes of grinding.

A hand grinder is a good travel option, and great exercise. :)

I go by the 15 / 15 / 15 give or take, works really well. Some coffees seem to need to rest a little more, but for the most part I like them from about 2-3 days after roast on. I find that they also start to lose the magic at about 10 days (but not all coffees, some surprise me at day ~ 6 and I feel like I've wasted it for the last 2-3 days, lol).

I was grinding my own coffee, then decided to try the French Press ground coffee from the same local co., and it's good. But now I may try grinding some beans tomorrow and see how the coffee compares!

I never thought of myself as a coffee snob until I stopped drinking it completely for a couple of years because I hated the taste. Why? Because we had that darn Keurig maker and my husband insisted it was just fine, and I thought maybe something is wrong with ME.

Fast forward....we took the Keurig to Good Will and my husband drinks the French Press I make.

It's not hard to hate coffee in the US. Everywhere is sh!te

I dislike Keurig, but I love my Nespresso. No comparison.

I dislike Keurig, but I love my Nespresso. No comparison.

Everytime I try someone's Nespresso I try to hate it but can't :D. It's feels sacreligious to me,..... but it is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom