Indonesia closed for foreigners 01 - 14 January 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good article to read:
Bali Travel Restrictions & Reopening - When Will Bali Borders Open For Tourism - Can I Travel To Bali? *Updated 12 April 2021* - Wego.com

“What is the current situation like in Bali?
As of 12 April 2021, the official tally has reported a total of 41,886 cases in Bali, where the population is around more than 4.2 million. With 38,983 cases of recovery, Bali’s recovery rate is at 93 percent.

Visas on arrival to Bali were halted on 20 March 2020 while The Ngurah Rai airport remains open. There is still a travel restriction in place for Indonesia where passengers are not allowed to transit or enter the country, with a few exceptions.

Bali relies heavily on tourism and had welcomed 6.3 million foreign visitors in the year 2019. The pandemic has naturally impacted the local economy.

Are there airlines flying to Bali now?
A search through Wego showed that there are several domestic flight schedules operated by a few local airlines.

The country’s national carrier, Garuda Indonesia, is among the airline resuming domestic operations. It has also implemented social distancing procedure in the cabin, including blocking out the middle seats.

Am I allowed to visit Bali now?
Yes, if you are a resident of Indonesia. Bali has opened its borders only to domestic travellers and the statistics have shown encouraging figures in relation to Bali’s Covid-19 cases for the last two weeks.

International tourists remain banned from visiting Bali in line with the policy of the Government of Indonesia, although some will be allowed into Bali as part of trial-runs leading up to Bali’s eventual reopening. More on this below.

As it stands, those allowed entry into Bali are the following:
  • Indonesian citizens (WNI) from abroad
  • Holders of valid Visa or Residence Permits
  • Holders of Official Visa, Diplomatic Visa, Visit Visa, Temporary Stay Visa, Official Residence Permit, Diplomatic Residence Permit, Temporary Stay Permit (ITAS) and Permanent Stay Permit (ITAP)
  • Transport crew members
  • Medical, food, and humanitarian aid workers
  • Holders of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and Business Travel Card (ABTC)
  • Holders of Traditional Border Crossing card
Additionally, the Balinese government has released a statement detailing who and what are allowed to enter the island. They include transports of basic security, logistical, and medical purposes, diplomatic personnel, personnel working for government projects, and personnel related to COVID-19 aid management.

The Vice Governor of Bali in a conference feed also added that entries are allowed for patients in need of emergency help, passengers attending to urgent matters like death or illness in the immediate family, and repatriated migrant workers and overseas Indonesian students.

What do I need to prepare if I need to visit Bali now?
For domestic travellers planning on visiting Bali, please consult the following:
  1. Travelers planning on flying to Bali must first acquire a negative PCR-based swab test issued within 2 days prior to departure.
  2. Travellers planning on entering Bali by land and sea must first acquire a negative rapid antigen test taken within 2 days prior to departure.
  3. All travellers must fill out the electronic-Health Alert Card (e-HAC) available here.
  4. While in Bali, travellers must make sure they have a valid test certificate on hand. This means ensuring that the test certificate is renewed after a 14-day period has elapsed.
  5. For those wishing to take the PCR test upon arrival, the Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport provides on-arrival tests priced at IDR 170,000 per person.
When will Bali reopen to tourists?
Bali has indeed reopened its gates for domestic tourism and in regards to international tourism, Indonesian President Mr. Joko Widodo has stated in a video release that there’s a possibility of Bali tourism reopening for international visitors around June – July 2021 should the conditions and handling of the Covid-19 pandemic continue to show favorable progress.

Otherwise, the Indonesian government has projected the date of Bali’s reopening to March 2022, as reported by Antara, Indonesia’s state-run news agency.

The reopening of the island province will also include a robust vaccination program and a set of trial-runs by allowing foreign tourists to visit three designated green-areas namely Ubud, Sanur and Nusa Dua. The designated areas will accommodate tourists arriving from select countries with favorable epidemiological situations the likes of the Netherlands, China, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates as well as other Middle Eastern countries, effectively forming individual travel corridor arrangements. The trial runs are expected to commence on 17 August 2021.

Is it safe to travel to Bali?
Bali is lauded as one of the few places that have managed to keep the pandemic under control. As of March 2021, the number of daily cases remains low compared to most areas in Indonesia. However, experts warned that this is hardly a strong indication that the island is a safe haven from the virus. Asymptomatic cases and low testing rate may be a more plausible explanation as to why the island records low Coronavirus cases.

If you need to be in Bali now, it’s best to observe strict social distancing and health protocols approved by WHO.

What are the things that are open right now in Bali?
Multiple popular beaches, beach clubs, and resorts remain closed. Some restaurants and shops have pivoted to delivery, while public spots like the beloved Lovina Beach, Besakih Temple, Garuda Wisnu Kencana, among others, are still closed off to the public.

Numerous beaches in Bali such as Kuta and Sanur have apparently been reopened to local residents as well as domestic tourists. Strict new-normal measures are in force with a mere 75 visitors per beach being allowed entry. Each entry point is overseen by security personnel to regulate the number of visitors coming in and out of all currently reopened beaches.”

Makes me wonder about who their actual customers are? Would we want to mingle? Are they vaccinated?
And BTW they aren't getting Australians any time soon.

Everyone in my group has been fully vaccinate.

The trial runs with tourists from their travel corridor countries, in which USA is not in the list, are expected to commence on 17 August 2021. Who knows how long the trial runs would last. We won’t definitely get tourist visas before then.

BTW, August 17 is Indonesia’s Independence Day. So it sounds like a reasonable date to use for starting something with historical significance.

My group of 7 have a liveboard trip to Sangalaki in August, Sangalaki-Kakaban-Maratua 4-10 August, 2021 with 15% off

Based on the 16-page discussion above, this trip is not going to happen, but, yet, White Manta (WM) won’t reschedule it to 2022 until June (originally until July, with some persuasion of our travel agent, WM moved it to June) this year. Has this happen to anyone else here?

This is ridiculous! Today, April 18, 2021, Indonesia is still closed. I even haven’t looked at the International flight schedule, much less booking one. On pre-pandemic era, I would have booked a year ahead.

Have a fully paid trip on Blue Manta that was rescheduled from Nov 2020 to Nov 2021 and hearing the same story- will not know till June if it is still on.

Fully paid? You are going to Raja Ampat I assume. Raja Ampat will quite likely still be closed by November, 2021. You might need to reschedule it again to 2022.

We just paid 50% deposit and won’t pay it full until we are sure that the country would be open a month before the trip.

We also have a trip to Raja Ampat on Blue Manta in February 2022. We have not done anything on it other than paying the 30% deposit.

Fully paid? You are going to Raja Ampat I assume. Raja Ampat will quite likely still be closed by November, 2021. You might need to reschedule it again to 2022.

We just paid 50% deposit and won’t pay it full until we are sure that the country would be open a month before the trip.

We also have a trip to Raja Ampat on Blue Manta in February 2022. We have not done anything on it other than paying the 30% deposit.
How does this work with a deposit now? I which cases could you get it refunded?

Makes me wonder about who their actual customers are? Would we want to mingle? Are they vaccinated?
And BTW they aren't getting Australians any time soon.
There is still so much not known. How long do the vaccinations protect? In how far do they protect against the different variants? Can a vaccinated person still be infected and infect others? Most of the people in Indonesia will get the Sinvac shots. Did anybody ever see the data of the studies from Brazil and Turkey? Looking at what now happens in India and several other countries I think that it could happen that international tourism into Indonesia will not happen within 2021.

How does this work with a deposit now? I which cases could you get it refunded?

We are not there yet. By June they would pretty much let us reschedule our trip to August, 2022. Therefore, the deposit is being forwarded to next year trip.

Going to Banda Sea and Ring of Fire. Paid the dive shop which required full payment way before covid 19 was a common word. Yes will definitely do trips a bit differently from now on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom