Any reason not to get a AL30, compared with a AL19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So going solo and based on my SAC, I probably only ever going to need a AL19 for rec diving.

But looking at the sizing and weights, as listed on DGX site:

Aluminum 19
4.38 Diameter
17.3 Height
7.9 Weight

Aluminum 30
5.25 Diameter
19.5 Height
12.3 Weight

Pros:
AL30 is almost the same size
but gives me 50% more air.
Price is only $10 more BTW, not that this is a big factor.
AL30 can be used as a deco tank if I were to go tec, while AL19 can not.

Cons:
is 4.4 lbs heavier

I don't see any other benefits to go for AL19, unless for the extra 4.4 lbs, which I'm fine with.

Am I missing anything?

It's a slippery slope, an al30 is just slightly smaller than an al40, and an al40 is more common as a small deco bottle or rebreather bailout if you ever intend to progress to tech stuff.

I have a 19 and a 40. The 19 gets used much more often because most of my solo stuff is shallow.

I started with a 30. Sold it and moved to a 40 when I started tech. I still use a 40 to this day but a 30 would suffice.

A 19 would technically work for me but I’d need to fill it more often. I use my pony to shoot my SMB & I don’t want to have to fill it constantly. I fill it maybe twice a year. I have two 40s from when I used to tech dive and I just rotate using them as my pony.

If you’re going to fly with it get a 19.
If you’re possibly going tech in the future get a 40.
Otherwise I’d say get a 30.

I don't see any other benefits to go for AL19, unless for the extra 4.4 lbs, which I'm fine with.

Am I missing anything?

I would get reliable numbers for the actual buoyancy, full, with a regulator, for each bottle. I assume you're going to sling? You want your bailout bottle to be as close to neutral when full with a regulator as possible. This will make a bigger difference in your diving than anything, because 99% (hopefully 100%) of the time you will be diving with it full tucked away to one side. Once it starts getting a few pounds negative, it will affect your balance and trim.

I would personally find a19cft to be more useful than a 30cft. It's more portable and easier to use for things like soaking regs, filling tires, etc. But if you are interested in someday deco and technical diving, you might include AL40 in your search, because those are much more useful as deco bottles. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think they are closer to neutral than either 19s or 30s. It depends on the brand.

A 19 was what I considered as a minimum for a bailout - just enough to spend a minute or so trying to remedy an issue on the bottom before you need to bail. I rarely do anything over 80-90 fsw so volume is sufficient to be able to include a safety stop if your not trouble shooting too long - You won't have a lot of time to figure things out and get things squared away but there is a small cushion. 19 is also small enough that it's only a little inconvenience to lug around topside but completely disappears in water once I take 1 lb off the my left side. 13 while smaller doesn't sling nearly as well and unless you are staying shallow, there's no cushion for troubleshooting on the bottom before it's time to go. If you think tech and deco might be in your future, may as well as go with the 40.

13, ok for bailout less than 80' (for me) and small enough it can be mounted to the tank.
19, a little better bail out but a little big to tank mount (my opinion).
30' great for bail out easy to sling, too big to tank mount. (again opinion)

I went with a 13' and a 30', the 19 just didn't make sense for my dives.
If it's between the 19 and the 30, I'd go with the 30'.

I also put the 30 in a plastic backpack and dive the beaches with a metal detector after holiday weekends. It's great for quick light dives.

40 is much more useful than a 30 and actually behaves much better in the water because it is less negative. I don't believe in pony bottles, but if you're going to do it, I think a 40 is a much better decision. I hate when I have to borrow AL30's for deco bottles because they feel a bit piggish compared to the 40's. They're only about half a pound more negative, but you notice.

Back
Top Bottom