Closed reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume the rolling reef closings are independent of pandemic concerns, but I wonder what good they are supposed to do, even assuming that divers hurt the reefs. If the overall number of divers remains the same, the divers who would be going to the closed reefs will go to the ones that aren't, which increases the traffic on those reefs while eliminating divers on the closed ones. When it rolls to the next closure, reefs that had no traffic when they were closed then get more than they would have if no reefs ever closed. It seems to me that over time it's a zero sum game.

I assume the rolling reef closings are independent of pandemic concerns, but I wonder what good they are supposed to do, even assuming that divers hurt the reefs. If the overall number of divers remains the same, the divers who would be going to the closed reefs will go to the ones that aren't, which increases the traffic on those reefs while eliminating divers on the closed ones. When it rolls to the next closure, reefs that had no traffic when they were closed then get more than they would have if no reefs ever closed. It seems to me that over time it's a zero sum game.

The word I heard was it's about spawning and different parts are at different times. I'm not up to speed on marine biology so maybe it's a big story but that's what I heard.

I get what you are saying - areas got real crowded during the last closure but a large part of the park was closed then. It's really a wait and see how it goes thing - there's some popular dive sites closed during high season......

The word I heard was it's about spawning and different parts are at different times. I'm not up to speed on marine biology so maybe it's a big story but that's what I heard.

I get what you are saying - areas got real crowded during the last closure but a large part of the park was closed then. It's really a wait and see how it goes thing - there's some popular dive sites closed during high season......
How much can one really take in in an hour at a dive site say once every 6 months if your a lucky one. I could spend 4 hours in a few square meters just looking for stuff in the nook and cranny....it’s nice not be self rushed.

Already been posted on posted 7

Attachments

• rs=w:400,cg:true
    rs=w:400,cg:true
    26.8 KB · Views: 120
Is this schedule being enforced in 2021? If so, in May when I will be there Dalila, Palancar Gardens, and Palancar Horseshoe will be closed.

As far as I know this rotation is still in effect. I know Cedral was closed this February and March and re-opened in April, for instance.

Is this schedule being enforced in 2021? If so, in May when I will be there Dalila, Palancar Gardens, and Palancar Horseshoe will be closed.

Yes the schedule is being enforced

Yep, three of my favorites, then again you always go out on one of the many unlicensed, no permit pirate boats.

Yep, three of my favorites, then again you always go out on one of the many unlicensed, no permit pirate boats.
I do? I don't think so. You make-a de joke?

They are also three of my favorite reefs, but I have so many favorites that missing out on three of them won't be that much of a hardship for me.

Yes. Been diving here the past few days. Palancar Gardens & Horseshoe are closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom