Picture ID, COVID Test and.....Credit Check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveProKoko

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Not 100% sure how I feel about this yet, but my initial response is, "A Turks and Caicos already exists. Don't price yourself out, Bonaire!"

In the new Bonaire Tourism Plan found here: https://www.tourismbonaire.com/includes/tourism-recover-plan.pdf There is quite a bit of language about attracting the "right tourist" who is more "affluent'", and mention of offering more night time activities (read "night clubs"). It seems Bonaire is using the COVID pandemic as their "big reset" opportunity. No, really. They almost use those exact words when describing the "unique opportunity that COVID has presented". They also mention a desire for "fewer travelers, while achieving higher revenue".

I'm a bit torn. Personally, we are able to afford higher end, more expensive vacations. My wife and I do okay financially, and we typically seek out "nicer" places anyway. Even in Bonaire. However, when you try to draw a clientele that has money, but also promote an active night club scene, exclusive dining options, etc., in my experience, it can tend to crowd a place and push out the casual traveler. This is contrary to their plan to decrease travelers and increase revenue.

Bonaire is a somewhat unique place, and they should definitely promote it. But to me, this new plan wreaks of a push toward elitism and a more expensive experience. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Bonaire is a cool little, laid back drinking island with a scuba problem. :) I'd hate to see it turned into Vegas at the beach! That's all I'm saying.

With a quick glance it did make me feel like my business isn't appreciated since I don't fit their target demographic. We'll see what happens once the reality of "supply and demand" sets in.

I sure hope they don't pursue sinking any junk on the reef. Why do you need an artificial reef when you have a (ROUGHLY) 23 mile by 120' natural reef already.

This whole thing was a reaction to too many cruise ships leaving too little money and causing too many problems.

I hope that they do not lose sight of their key asset - abundant shore diving. Some people might appreciate more upscale accommodations, not a bad idea, but they'll have to blast some beaches into the coastline in front of the new resorts to really draw in a more diverse and discerning crowd. I do like the idea of more direct flights in, and less cruise ships is a winner.

Most divers come with densely packed luggage, so increasing the quantity of shopping might be a challenge. Some more nightlife wouldn't hurt, but from my experience, most divers hit the sack pretty early. More dining options would be nice.

If I were them, I'd focus on the human element if they want to attract a new (upscale) clientele. Guided tours, both underwater and on land. Birdwatching through the park. Maybe more boat-based diving for the less adventurous or experienced. More quality shore divemasters might be nice. They have an annual and well-attended kiteboarding festival/competition which I suppose they could market more.

Higher taxes and fees will probably be the route they will take in the short term, and I do hope that they'll be able to resist quick infrastructure investment and loans from China that so many other developing countries are taking

I wish them will with their plans. I just hope that their sleepy little desert island retains it unique charm and the reefs stay healthy.

Read the whole thing.....been diving Bonaire for 20 years..... fewer cruise ships, fewer tourists and some pressure off the reefs due to fewer cruise ships, fewer tourists and a new wreck dive? I'm still in.....and I'm willing to cut back on some stuff here at home station to pay more for it if necessary....

"Experts believe the most resilient travelers will be micro-segments like millennials and high-earning couples."

Two groups of people I'd prefer not to be trapped with on a small island.

Not 100% sure how I feel about this yet, but my initial response is, "A Turks and Caicos already exists. Don't price yourself out, Bonaire!"

In the new Bonaire Tourism Plan found here: https://www.tourismbonaire.com/includes/tourism-recover-plan.pdf There is quite a bit of language about attracting the "right tourist" who is more "affluent'", and mention of offering more night time activities (read "night clubs"). It seems Bonaire is using the COVID pandemic as their "big reset" opportunity. No, really. They almost use those exact words when describing the "unique opportunity that COVID has presented". They also mention a desire for "fewer travelers, while achieving higher revenue".

I'm a bit torn. Personally, we are able to afford higher end, more expensive vacations. My wife and I do okay financially, and we typically seek out "nicer" places anyway. Even in Bonaire. However, when you try to draw a clientele that has money, but also promote an active night club scene, exclusive dining options, etc., in my experience, it can tend to crowd a place and push out the casual traveler. This is contrary to their plan to decrease travelers and increase revenue.

Bonaire is a somewhat unique place, and they should definitely promote it. But to me, this new plan wreaks of a push toward elitism and a more expensive experience. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Bonaire is a cool little, laid back drinking island with a scuba problem. :) I'd hate to see it turned into Vegas at the beach! That's all I'm saying.

The same thing is happening in the Cayman Islands. There is an ongoing discussion about cruise passengers vs overnight tourists. Boils down to what should the mix be of low revenue passengers / higher revenue overnight tourism. I think there are a lot of places wondering if they should use the current situation to do a reset. I have also heard that Venice Italy is tightening the number of visitors. Let’s face it, hordes of tourists can be a double edged sword.
Be safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom