Inon S2000 with Sony RX 100/2 ?? Need advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immeriswas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Using a Sony RX100/2 for many years now and bought an Inon S2000 after the old manual strobe broke. Now testing the set topside ( the next dive trip has to wait thanks Covid 19) the STTL mode doesn't work. The flash goes off but either too late or early, because the pictures are all black. Tried all different settings on the camera.
The manuell mode on the Inon works fine.
So ist the Sony not suitable for TTL??
Thanks for any input

Thanks, that what I tried, with several other combinations and modes. Either the camera doesn't work with TTL or is defect.

Are you using single core or multi core cables? What happens if you just hold the S2000 optical sensor up to the RX100's pop-up flash, outside the housing, no cables? I'm asking because in cases of poor light transmission, sometimes strobes don't pick up the pre-flash, which is short and relatively weak in comparison to the main flash pulse. I had this happening to me with SeaFrogs ST-100 Pro strobes and single-core cables; the optical windows in my housing (SeaFrogs Salted Line) are offset a bit from the actual camera flash, and the left window gets less light than the right one, so the right strobe was firing reliably and the left one often wasn't - moving to multi-core cables with better light transmission fixed that.

Is the strobe new or there is a chance that it could be not working 100%? I can confirm that I got rx100m5 working with inon sttl. I would still check the optical cable before giving up on it.

I tried outside the housing with the same negativ result. Finally I got an answer from Sony , who told me that in my RX 100/2 the fill in flash in M mode does not work with the TTL of the Inon strobe - or any strobe. Okay that leaves me on manuell as in the last 6 years with the old simple strobe, only now with the Inon I have 13 instead of only 5 powersteps, which might help in some macro situations.
Thanks you all for your input

I tried outside the housing with the same negativ result. Finally I got an answer from Sony , who told me that in my RX 100/2 the fill in flash in M mode does not work with the TTL of the Inon strobe - or any strobe. Okay that leaves me on manuell as in the last 6 years with the old simple strobe, only now with the Inon I have 13 instead of only 5 powersteps, which might help in some macro situations.
Thanks you all for your input
Interesting, did they state why? According to inon, it should be supported -> http://www.divephotoguide.com/under...ounces-product-compatibility-sony-rx100-line/.
On my last pre covid trip, due flooded camera, I rented a rx100m5 that was available at the dive resort and both my d2000 have worked fine. I remember tinkering a little bit because I have not had Sony until then but eventually it did work.
How does testing outside the housing should work? You need to get the light through fiber optic cable to the strobe. Outside of the housing, you will not get accurate results, it may or may not work.

How does testing outside the housing should work? You need to get the light through fiber optic cable to the strobe. Outside of the housing, you will not get accurate results, it may or may not work.

There is nothing magical about the fiber optic cable; so long as the sensor in the strobe gets enough light on it, it should fire. Holding the sensor directly against the camera flash ensures the most efficient light transmission and eliminates the housing bulkhead and fiber optics as potential sources of problems.

How do you know which light source is exposing the test shot? I would not test or trust that test w/o housing and fiber optic cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom