Use of "Endoscope" type cameras for VCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of those (not very high res) cheap endoscopes and it's great for some things, never tried it in a tank but I imagine it wouldn't be very useful unless there was a specific spot you wanted to look at closely. Being able to record the inside of the tank is sort of a neat concept.

A short piece of LED strip works well for illumination.

Has anyone here tried to use the "Endoscope" type cameras for doing VCI (visual cylinder inspection) instead of the typical VCI inspection light used for this purpose? Is there a reason not to use it or any other issues of concern?

If you have used them and they are good to use, what models did you use and recommend please?

Sample models of "Endoscope" cameras I found on Amazon I thought may do the job: (These are sample/example only)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PBF6DX...olid=1MSLWM7BDGSV5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HVT2XZ...olid=1MSLWM7BDGSV5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Just a word of caution: if you plan to use USB OTG with a cell phone, make sure your device is compatible. The last time I looked the implementation was uncommon amongst manufacturers.

Also the resolution of the eye is greater than 500 megapixels...

If you get one get the USB type and use it with a laptop and VLC, more future-proof and the bigger screen is nice.

Just a word of caution: if you plan to use USB OTG with a cell phone, make sure your device is compatible. The last time I looked the implementation was uncommon amongst manufacturers.

Also the resolution of the eye is greater than 500 megapixels...

I don't have interest in using it with a cell phone, I would use it with a laptop or a tablet if compatible.

If you get one get the USB type and use it with a laptop and VLC, more future-proof and the bigger screen is nice.

Yes, that's what I had on mind.

The short answer is yes.

Way back in the 90's we were using full colour Endoscopes for inspection of Aircraft engine combustion chamber and fuel tanks which are light sucking voids. We even had a flexible scope, 16m (50') long for inspecting the inside of the reaction control ducts of the Harrier Aircraft

You get what you pay for.

The flexible tips (depending on manufacturer) can move past 180 degrees to look back on themselves

While camera resolution is important equally so is the fibre optic for light transmission, although dive cylinder shouldn't need that powerful of light source

What is extremely important, is "calibrating" your eyes since these scopes give varying degrees of magnification, thus it's easy for a novice or someone with limited experience to condemn a component that has a perfectly acceptable defect or artifact.

I used to teach assisted visual inspection over a 3 day course which mostly consisted of practical exercises for the inspectors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom