Channel Islands... What do I need to know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there are plenty of good tech options all up and down the coast.

B29, when it was found it was a tech dive. Water level have dropped enough that it really isn't. But the way all the permits were setup it is only to be dived as a tech dive. I had a lot of interest when it was first found. As time goes by and it gets encrusted, less and less interest. Honestly, for the money, I would invest it into a real ride in a B29.

Yes, there are plenty of good tech options all up and down the coast.

B29, when it was found it was a tech dive. Water level have dropped enough that it really isn't. But the way all the permits were setup it is only to be dived as a tech dive. I had a lot of interest when it was first found. As time goes by and it gets encrusted, less and less interest. Honestly, for the money, I would invest it into a real ride in a B29.

Yeah the description sounds more like a rec dive, and most of the pictures have divers in singles. I hate all the topside stuff and surface intervals I just prefer to do a single long dive.

I looked into riding FiFi one year when it was touring near by, they wanted a grand for the actual interesting seats. While I was in college, the Collin's Foundations old B-17 was in for MX at an air field near by. I got to watch it get restored (along with their F-4U that was in for its second restoration after it was ditched at sea during a photo flight). Even got a couple of chances to go in and see parts that only the MX guys get to see.

Catalina is a fun place, or was pre-Covid. Feels a lot like the Mexican Riviera. Cruise ships stopped there, and will again some day. Be sure to watch the water temps. Ranges from low-mid 60’s in late Summer and early Fall to mid-50’s in Jan - April.

I was under the impression it was closed. Hmmm.... I would have to ask one of my friends in Phoenix to hold onto my guns to cross the border.

Oil rig dives do sound intresting, I've seen videos on the Blue World.

Any interesting tech dives? I have a pair of HP100s with 18/33 that has been sitting for a couple of months. Thinking about seeing if I can convince someone about doing the Oriskany on the way. Another thing that caught my eye in the Lake Mead B-29 dive, though I would only want to do that as a tech dive, and it is confusing if it is or not.

Check out if Paragon Dive Adventures out of Tucson is running a trip to San Carlos, it's great diving (and there might be a new wreck sunk depending on when you arrive).

For tech dives, we have a few plane wrecks & trident missile tower (a bit further north in Vegas you can dive Lake Mead (aka hoover dam) and see a B-29 and BPY flying boat. There are two charters that have licenses to dive there, one of them is more tech friendly apparently). Technically inside recreational limits most diver that go to Hogan wreck are tech divers. LA has UB-88 (German U boat sunk by the navy post war). Farnsworth Banks and the oil rigs can be tech dives but are also recreational dives. While i'm an aspiring tech diver, i'm not there yet so maybe its just me but I don't see many tech charter boats going out.

A local tech diver maintains this site, Wrecked in my rEvo you can see some of the cooler stuff (its mostly in the San Diego, Orange, LA County area)

So I've been making out my proposed schedule.

July 11th B-29 dive
Travel day
Tue 13th Catalina Dive
Wed 14th Catalina Dive
Thu 15th Catalina Dive
16th rest day
Sat 17th Spectre channel islands
Sun 18th Oil Rig dive on the Magician

I will probably do the ferry each day, with the first day being a shore dive with a DM to do a weight check, and get to know kelp diving. I think I might try to go at least a day of boat diving from Avalon, but that I will play by ear. I'm not 100% set on the Spectre for the 17th, but I can't seem to find any other boat heading out that way on Saturday.

Where should I stay? It seems like San Pedro is the best option as all but the Spectre depart from San Pedro. Is that a nice area?

San Pedro is fine but honestly if I were doing 3 days in Avalon, I'd just stay there rather than going back and forth on the ferry. Check out the Seaport Village Inn. They're pretty reasonably priced, and they cater to divers; they'll schlep your gear from the ferry to the hotel and dive park and back at no extra charge, and don't care if you hang your stuff to dry on the balcony. If you get a room with a kitchen, you can save money on eating out.

Another option instead of the Spectre is the Raptor.
Raptor Dive Charters: Schedule and Reservation Information
Their July schedule isn't up yet, but they pretty much go to the same places (Anacapa & Santa Cruz), and they often do 2-tank trips instead of 3-tank trips. It's also a faster boat. A day on the Spectre is a long day, and trying to do the oil rigs the day after might leave you pretty tired. But if you stayed in Ventura the night before (allowing you to sleep in a little later), did a 2-tank day on the Raptor, grabbed some lunch in town, then headed back to stay in the San Pedro/Long Beach area the night before your oil rigs trip, you might have a better chance of not falling asleep at the wheel after all that. One drawback: on the Spectre, you will feast like a king; on the Raptor, you might have to bring your own snacks.

San Pedro is fine but honestly if I were doing 3 days in Avalon, I'd just stay there rather than going back and forth on the ferry.

How easy is it to get around the island? Because of my disability my luggage requirements are a bit more than a normal person.

So if I stay on Catalina I might adjust it to the following
July 10th B-29 dive
11th Travel to the LA area (probably stay near someplace with good Chinese noodle shop I've been missing that)
12th Travel to Avalon
Tue 13th Catalina Dive
Wed 14th Catalina Dive
Thu 15th Catalina Dive
16th Travel to San Pedro
Sat 17th Spectre channel islands
Sun 18th Oil Rig dive on the Magician

How easy is it to get around the island? Because of my disability my luggage requirements are a bit more than a normal person.
It's just over a half-mile walk from the ferry to the dive park; the hotel is in between, but up a little bit of a hill. If you stay at the hotel, you can call them to pick up you and your gear. Otherwise, you can bring your gear to Blue Line Baggage Service at the ferry terminal on the island, and they'll bring it to and from the park. Or, you can grab a taxi and not have to walk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom