Upgrading from a Rec Kit to a Tech Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And one more thing - are you physically able to handle the weight of doubles? I tried and knee issues made sidemount a necessity. I have no idea of your age, but if you already have back/knee issues, you should consider sidemount. Also add shoulder issues that would prevent you doing valve drills with doubles.
Thanks for the note, but I'm good there.

Yeah, I almost added to the end of the post that I'm not actually going to buy anything most of that list until I've taken some of the TDI classes. Just trying to decide if this is a pipe dream or not.

You may be able to do Intro to Tech without having your own tech gear, but AN/DP? Unless you were traveling a long distance, I’d say most instructors are probably going to require you to have your own kit. Don’t count on renting everything.

Also, you may be required to be deco trained before doing Advanced Wreck.

My personal opinion:
1. Single brand only.
2. Learn how to service them and make sure service kits are readily available.

Good luck.

^^^THIS^^^^

Technical diving can be seen as a journey......your instructor should be more of a mentor than just a teacher. Expectations should be clear and he/she should clearly detail the path towards your goal. Further, clearly explain where you are currently and how to get where you want to go.

Equipment is a big part of technical diving, but if you plan to dive in our waters it will take a proper attitude, patience and humility to do it safely and rewardingly.

Your instructor should guide you through gear, explain why one is preferred over another but more so, get you thinking why one is possibly better than another and get the answers from you.

fortunately there are ways to save money in tech diving and there are things you simply cannot go cheap on, once an escape to the surface is not an option you must give yourself every chance to have a safe and enjoyable dive.
Good luck on your journey.

Hi
Good advice of talking to your instructor first.
Yes tech diving needs more equipment but you don't need to spend money thinking you need to get top of this or top of that...
Sell your bcd and get a second hand backplate and a second hand or new wing for double.
For regulators, yours is fine if it is din. just get a new or second hand first stage and you are set for double tank. or keep yours for deco tank.
As for the i200, i think he does 2 gases so perfect. Keep it.
Take your time anyway and enjoy :)

core supreme isn't popular like apeks for tech diving, but functionally no reason it can't be used. it is a balanced dry sealed diaphragm reg, no different than the venerable atx40/ds4

for servicing, you can either take a class, or if you are the handy type just buy the harlowe book from airspeedpress and learn by doing.

With every wreck dive I do, I think... I really want to go inside! I'm trying to better understand the necessary financial investment to enter the tech diving world with the goal of being properly equipped and trained to penetrate wrecks probably no deeper than 150' in both cold and warm water. I definitely want to stand on the flight deck of the USS Oriskiny and do some Great Lakes wrecks.

• I was already shopping for a dry suit because I live in Oregon and I'm done with cold water wet suits.
  • I already know my Aqualung Axium is not suitable for dual tanks, so a back plate and wing are in order.
  • I read that you should have "high end" regulators, but no discussion about where that bar is. I have an Aqualung Core Supreme 1st & 2nd stage. Are these suitable at least for my backup set? Or should I plan on 2 new regulator sets?
  • I have an Aqualung i200. Someone who I can't vouch for their credibility said that's a fine choice for back up, but should get a proper tech watch as a primary. Is that a fair assessment?
  • I'm a little concerned about the tank situation since a lot of my dives are while traveling. Are there places that rent twin tanks or would I need to travel with them, which doesn't seam reasonable? Maybe I'm just not searching hard enough.
For instruction, I found an SDI/TDI instructor that I really like. So I will probably take Intro Tech, Advanced Nitrox, Deco Proceedurss, and Advanced Wreck from him. Obviously not all at once, but this is all something I plan on structuring over time.

Just trying to add it all up to see if I should abandon the plan and stick with rec and just dream about the inside. Thanks.

Before you buy anything do Intro To Tech. Part of the point of the training is to help with knowing what you need to buy.

SB is full of rubbish advice that will cost you money and waste your time. For example there is no need to be able to service your own regulator if you live within reach of a shop that can do it. It is common advice here due to people living in odd places, viral marketing and there being people who resent paying a load of money to have big collections of little used regulators serviced.

You should prioritise the drysuit. That has to fit and is hard to borrow or rent.

Don’t buy a secondhand suit. You may be buying someone else’s problems. Don’t go mad on options and cost unless you have money to burn. You don’t want complications like dry gloves yet. Don’t get a thick neoprene suit, but do consider crushed neoprene if you really want to be going inside real wrecks, although that may be so far off you will be in the market for a second suit by then. Take local advice about what weight of undersuit to buy. Keep in mind that inland freshwater training sites can be much colder than the sea.

Next learn to use the drysuit. You need to be comfortable in it before thinking about getting into situations where popping to the surface will be quickly followed by popping to a chamber. It may be you want to take training from the same instructor you intend to use for Intro To Tech. Then if you don’t get on you find out sooner and if you do you don’t burn ITT time on prerequisites. You don’t need to be perfect, just not totally awful, as you will be adding more new skills, kit etc before it gets serious. Generally a drysuit is a shock for wetsuit divers and it is entirely usual to be greatly discouraged, decide you bought the wrong suit etc etc. Persist. Don’t add a drysuit at the same time as a load of other unfamiliar gear, don’t add a drysuit while on some other course. You will start off hating your drysuit but in then end it will be the most important thing as it will keep you warm and allow you to dive when wets suits will not.

Next go diving a bit. Maybe buy fins, if you do the probably ought to be heavy and simple but with a spring strap.

Try to find an instructor who asks you questions about what you want to do. Avoid instructors who jump to conclusions without discovering what you are trying to achieve. Ideally find an instructor who does the diving you are interested in.

Then do Intro To Tech. The idea here is to learn about kit, configs and so forth. Trying to buy the kit for the course that teaches you about kit is backwards and may lead to questions like “Why did you feel the need to have two bladders in your wing? Look round here at these 50 other divers not on courses but diving twinsets and ccr - do they have that?” while your buddies careful scrutinise their fins to avoid the painful look on your face. If you have followed SB advice and turn up with two Terics and the instructor doesn’t rip the piss out of you then find a more honest instructor.

Kit wise you can cobble stuff together with what you have - see section 3.9 for what is required for ITT https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/TDI/part 2/pdf/individual/TDI Diver Standards_03_Intro_to_Tech_Diver.pdf and section 3.10.3 for stuff it teaches about kit choices.

You can do ITT on a single with your current computer. You will want a DSMB and buoyancy control that means you can put it up mid water, at least by the time you are finished.

Ideally you would use a twinset on ITT and learn to use a long hose, do shutdowns etc. Try to borrow or rent that from your instructor. Here, in the U.K., all twinsets are steel, in some places in the world they are aluminium. Where you are I would expect steel but who knows?

If you must buy a twinset before ITT take advice from the instructor. Try to pick an instructor who makes money teaching not upselling kit at a shop. You will probably end up with a steel backplate, 40lb wing and another regulator with a 7ft hose. Get the most simple harness, there is a knack to getting in on and off and properly adjusted but you do not need extra clips, padding etc. Your wing will also be simple, no double bladder, no pull dump on the inflator, no reg built into the inflator feed. See rectotec: HOW TO: SET UP A TWINSET - PART 1: CYLINDERS etc for a decent overview. At a minimum you will need an extra first stage and a 7ft LP hose. Typical popular brands for this include Apeks and ScubaPro. Where you dive is a bit important in choosing a brand, get something you can have serviced there. Aqualung is kind of the same as Apeks, it is the parent company, but I would choose Apeks and mix brands to start with. Where you are that might not be best as Apeks is relatively expensive there. Eventually your current Aqualung regulator will get used when your other half drags you to some hot sunny place or as a deco regulator, so you will not be diving unmatched primary and secondary forever. Resist the urge to burn your credit card on two sets today. Some regulators are better than others for hose routing on a twinset. Google is your friend.

If money is an issue (and it should be because you’ll be needing a bigger house) then this sort of kit can be bought second hand. I am expecting a single cylinder bp/wing setup to turn up on Tuesday having paid half what a new one would be. Regulators can be serviced, bladders replaced, inflators replaced.

Before you do anything read Technical Diving : An Introduction by Mark Powell which you can get from Amazon.

Oh, how does one get properly trained to service a regulator?
Deep 6 provides training and through their affiliate shops. Tacoma Scuba is one of I’m not mistaken.

I have all the tools for servicing if you decide to make the trek up I-5. Offer begins once I am vaccinated (hoping first shot later this month).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom