Easy way to add a chest strap to back plate webbing harnesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A properly fitted backplate harness doesn't require one. It really isn't necessary. But to each their own.
FYI, Drysuits and thick undergarments can change a body shape significantly......using scuba math, I fit about 20% of my divers with sternum straps.

FYI, Drysuits and thick undergarments can change a body shape significantly......using scuba math, I fit about 20% of my divers with sternum straps.

Honest question, Does the sternum strap get in the way of a suit inflator? How do you deal with that?

Yes they can sit a little close to your DS inflator but it wont lock the button down or you move it

I cobble them quickly from bungee to secure my fins

full.jpg

I still haven't bound this one like the double ender

Honest question, Does the sternum strap get in the way of a suit inflator? How do you deal with that?

locate it where it works best.....

for some, it may be nowhere at all....

A bolt snap and paracord are all you need. When the narrow webbing/plastic quick release version on my SM rig came off, I just replaced it with the above. Works just fine

Yes, it can....2 options.....1) just move it with your finger when you add air. 2) the straps I prefer (for this exact reason) are adjustable.
The bigger issue is the possibility of the strap pressing the inflator.....rare but again that’s why the adjustable strap.

just throwing this out there because no one has mentioned it...

Sternum Strap — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

That is a good option, which we investigated. However, it is a bit bulkier and to some it is a hard sell when it is $50. I discussed that with Xsscuba one time.

We also tried the bolt snap and bungee approach, but did not like the way it pulled.

The two triglides and the Diverite chest strap are around $15. If you bought something off of amazon, you could do the whole thing for less than $10. Since it uses a triglide, you could also have it do double duty with a d-ring

Back
Top Bottom