Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got same error message using a VPN
I have the same error message working through my Canadian IP but have full access when I VPN through a New Zealand server. It must load an authorization cookie because I can continue to access with a Canadian IP after leaving the VPN but at the exact same time can not access with a private browser session.
Lots of clouds out there.

I'd really appreciate it if you could share some knowledge about:
- What you would check pre dive (water, waves, visibility etc)
- Where you go to find the information ( particular apps/websites)
- When would you check (The morning of, night before, everyday for two weeks running up!)
I go check out information on dive sites with "scuba earth" here: Scuba Earth by DiveBuddy.com | DiveBuddy.com . I generally don't bother checking the weather much until the morning of the dive since the weather on previous days is mostly meaningless with regards to dives in my area.

It would be nice if divebuddy had an app version of their site instead of just the web page as apps tend to be more touchscreen friendly than websites. Other than that, it seems like your questionnaire was specifically about this website or one of the other existing websites which serve this purpose.

The only dives I would plan 2 weeks out would be a big international trip to someplace like Cozumel, Mexico or Roatan, Honduras.

Hello everyone,

Im Ellis, 27 based in Berlin, I have been diving for around 8 years now, AOWD. I love diving but I don't get to dive as much as I would like! I would really like to start planning my own dives for the summer, I have a top level idea how to do this but i'm interested to know how you do it.

When Im not diving I work as a UX designer, designing apps and websites. I'm currently in a research phase of a project where I am working on developing an app to help divers plan dives. There seems to be a bit of a gap for this kind of app, at the moment I believe we have to use a lot of different resources to plan dives (check conditions) and I'm really interested to hear how you guys plan dives with focus on checking conditions pre dive.

I'd really appreciate it if you could share some knowledge about:
- What you would check pre dive (water, waves, visibility etc)
- Where you go to find the information ( particular apps/websites)
- When would you check (The morning of, night before, everyday for two weeks running up!)

If you would like to help my research, I kindly ask that you share your opinions by filling out this short survey (5 mins), which you can find here: https://forms.gle/beb39SuP5xQB7E5i7

If this is not allowed by Scubaboard, I apologise and will remove the post immediately :)

Warm thanks,
Ellis
Hi Ellis,

Echoing others, your survey assumes little experience, with an assumption no one get taught how the plan dives.

Here in the UK, and Germany has similar divers, How to plan dive trips is part of the core syllabus. For example, Sports Divers are trained to be Assistant Dive Mangers and Dive Leaders fully qualified Dive Managers, with expeditions being organised and managed by Advanced Divers.

Hey There,

Did you make it to the Christmas markets? Berlins a lovely city but yes, very little diving!

Thank you for writing back to me, This is all golden info and will really help the project develop. I really appreciate you taking the time to write such detailed feedback and I will investigate the forecast checkers you use!

Thanks again and all the best!
My pleasure. The purpose of our trip was in fact to visit the Christmas markets. We were staying just around the corner from Alexanderplatz so of course we went to the two there, Rotes Rathaus, the Gendarmenmarkt, the LGBTQI* market at Nollendorfplatz, and probably some others that I can't remember right now. We had to buy a full-size suitcase from Primark to fit everything. So many Pyramide!

thinks its important to get opinions from divers of all levels and all of the feedback is very valuable, but I have a strong focus on Weather/ Water pre dive checks and imagining what the would be best for divers. I think the big weather apps are created with surfers/ windsurfers in mind. I would love to know some of the issues that I might have missed and I would be very interested in reading the short book you wrote if you could point me towards it please?
While things like weather are certainly important, those are not the issues that truly interfere with less experienced divers planning their dives. The most important ones are gas planning (Do I have enough gas to do the dive I am planning? How shall I manage gas usage during the dive to ensure I do not run out), navigation (How do I get where I want to go, and how do I get back?), thermal protection (Am I going to freeze to death during the dive?), gas choices (How will oxygen content in my breathing gas affect my dives?), and others.

As far as water conditions go, in some parts of the world, the most important factor may be tides. How tides affect dives is quite local, and you will need local knowledge to ensure that you are planning to dive at a time when diving is even possible, let alone safe.

Altitude can be a factor in some locations as well.

Some factors are always taken into account: a gas plan first and foremost, then exposure protection, a navigation plan, a gear plan and the logistics of getting yourself and your gear to the site.

Others are completely dependent on the specifics of the dive site. Stuff like tides, currents, sea state, visibilty, weather, permits, boat traffic.

I'm not sure how you would go about creating a one stop app to cover all of this. Perhaps follow the logic of Gall's Law "A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that worked." and start with one piece that interests you and you feel isn't adequately covered by an existing app.

Yup that's what I'm getting too

I got a reply from cawthron about the issue. Here's their response.

Hi *DiveClimbRide*,

I was passed on your email in which you mention your friend in the US having issues with CawthronEye.

I’m not exactly sure what might be happening but I’m guessing it might be related to a recent change in our website that changed the location of CawthronEye to https://tools.cawthron.org.nz/apps/cawthroneye

If they are interested in a US-centred version, they can now use the following link:

https://tools.cawthron.org.nz/apps/cawthroneye/?lat=30.516&lng=-102.234&zoom=4&date=2021-04-11

Hopefully that works for them, but happy to investigate further if required. In the past I have had some issues with browsers, but I find that firefox or chrome works fine for me.

Another thing you may want to point them to is the temperature feature – you can go back a day and turn on “SST” to see recent temperatures.

mail

Ngā mihi | Kind regards

Ben Knight

Marine Biophysical Scientist

I got a reply from cawthron about the issue. Here's their response.
I just tried Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on my Mac with consistent errors. Cloudflare is blocking the traffic before it even gets to the site. Ray ID is 63e9fe264faeed0f if that helps.

This site checks if sites are down or blocked from the U.S. and it says it can't see it either.
tools.cawthron.org.nz down? Current problems and status. - DownFor

If you would like me to get in touch directly I'm happy to do that if you send the contact info my way. Thanks for looking into it.

Yep cawthron is nfg for sure.

Mayhaps the host is only hosting locally and not really on the internet or something. If it matters, I'm using Firefox 87.0 (64 bit) on winders 10.

upload_2021-4-13_15-40-22.png upload_2021-4-13_15-42-4.png

That link they provided for "us customers" doesn't work either.
upload_2021-4-13_15-48-47.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom