Trip Report Cozumel Trip Report: April 1-10, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a bit reluctant to throw this out there for fear it might come back to bite me in the butt down the road when it becomes too popular and I won't be able to get a room; but there is this place that I have become aware of during this trip called Quinta Suites. I went over to check them out today on the recommendation of a few people. Functionally appointed suites with living room, kitchen and 1 or 2 bedroom options at a really inexpensive rate. They are basically catty-corner from 3P's on the NE corner of 5th and 5th. For anyone diving with Aldora or 3P's and want to do some of their own meals, this would be a great option.
https://www.quinta-suites.com/

We spent 8 nights there last month. Dirt cheap (about $40/nt) and everything worked. Carlos the manager/owner? is responsive on whatsapp any time of day. We needed fast internet because we were working remote and when it was a bit slow the first day he installed a router in our room and we got 80mbps.

. There is a restaurant downtown that I know a lot of people frequent called Cuatro Tacos. . They have closed, but will be reopening (this week I believe)with a different concept. Instead of tacos, they will be doing tostadas. It will be called Bendita Tostadas. If they do open, I will check it out and report on it.).

I was a huge fan of Cuatro Tacos -- hopefully they will reopen with their new concept before you leave and you can add to your trip report. Enjoy the diving with Steve and crew at 3P

Thanks for the report - We actually dove together, I think it was Nov 2019? Perhaps, as the last time we were there, SI at the now collapsed Secrets Pier. Thanks for the 3P review, I've been diving with Pedro and Christi (mostly Pedro :) ) for about 20 years, so I am particular about my DMs. Although I knew we'd have to switch eventually, kinda hoped Pedro would keep working. Enjoy the rest of your trip. We were looking at Coz v Maui for our first vaxed trip in May, Maui won out this time

Wednesday, April 7

Got up and going this morning under cloudy skies and a light drizzle. Surface water was smooth as glass and the light winds were coming from the SE. We opted to dive Cedral Wall first and it was beautiful. The reef along the wall was lush and spectacular. We started out deep and made our way slowly up before crossing over to the mountains. Right upon drop in near the top of the wall was a huge southern stingray, We had 3 nurse shark encounters, with one out circling us in hopes of eating the lion fish we’d speared. Two large green morays, juvenile drum fish. Lots of large angelfish everywhere. The current picked up on the second dive at Punta Tunich. Again, the reef is in excellent condition. The rain had stopped when we came up after dive 1 and it has been a beautiful day today.

I keep forgetting to mention that in addition to all of your other gear, 3P’s also takes care of your wetsuit each day. They rinse it and dry it out and get it back to the boat the next day with everything else, except for regulator and mask, which everyone handles themselves these days.
It is nice not to be dragging a wet wetsuit back into the hotel.

Getting ready to head out for a night dive and meeting up at the shop at 7pm. It will be nice to dive with a familiar face tonight. Steve, owner of 3P’s, reached out to DM Martin and asked him to lead our night dive. Martin has been working the last number of years with Christi and Blue XT Sea. I look forward to seeing and diving with him.

Lunch today was a nice big burrito from Crazy King Burrito.

Please go to El Coffee Cozumel and have a double espresso and piece of banana cake (not banana cream cake) for me.

Thank you trailboss for allowing us to vicariously be in Cozumel along with you. I will be making my first trip to Cozumel and diving with Tres Pelicanos 5/25.

I keep forgetting to mention that in addition to all of your other gear, 3P’s also takes care of your wetsuit each day. They rinse it and dry it out and get it back to the boat the next day with everything else, except for regulator and mask, which everyone handles themselves these days.
It is nice not to be dragging a wet wetsuit back into the hotel.
Getting ready to head out for a night dive and meeting up at the shop at 7pm. It will be nice to dive with a familiar face tonight. Steve, owner of 3P’s, reached out to DM Martin and asked him to lead our night dive. Martin has been working the last number of years with Christi and Blue XT Sea. I look forward to seeing and diving with him.
Lunch today was a nice big burrito from Crazy King Burrito.
I hope all the dive operators are reading this.
Enjoy your night dive.
You might need to go for a diet after this trip! LOL

We were(x4) at Playa del Carmen at least 20 yrs ago but none of the other 3 travelling companions were diver. So never have a chance to go over to Cozumel, they were more interested on Chichen Itza etc.
All those distance travelling is history. But at least I still have the Coral Triangle to explore.

I do enjoy reading trip report especially on those places that I would not have any chance to make it nowadays.

April 8, 2021

It was an epic night dive last night with no less than 12 different lengthy octopus encounters. I have never seen so many on 1 dive before. Before seeing that first octo however, I came across a very large slipper lobster (always a treat, as I don’t see them often) and then about 8 big sharptail eels all out and scrumming among one another like they were fighting one another or fighting for something. I have never seen more than 2 sharptail eels together at one time.

We saw a pair of large squid, numerous eels of various types and size and color, a few large crabs. Everywhere you looked there was something and my head was on a swivel. Conditions were great. We got into the water about 7:40pm to a very mild current that subsided about 5 minutes into the dive. We had 6 divers and our dive guide out on Paradise reef. There were maybe 2 other boats out last night, but we never really ever got bunched up with either of those groups- so there was no chaos.

Towards the end of the dive, I came across a very large and beautiful basket star fully unfolded. That was a treat. Also, a number of beautiful and large Cow Fish and Porcupine Fish; lots of sleeping parrot fish and trumpet fish. Off for 2 afternoon dives today at 1pm.

upload_2021-4-8_9-2-1.png

upload_2021-4-8_9-2-43.png

I will post a few other photos below

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom