Taxi Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either with my husband or by myself in Cozumel, I always sit in the back. I view the front area as the drivers personal workspace and thought it was more respectful to sit in the back and leave his/her workspace free and unencumbered; as well as giving them their space.

That's a wrong assumption when taking a taxi in Mexico. That's USA culture and USA citizen thinking. Mexico has developed a very different culture than ours that values very different things.

That's a wrong assumption when taking a taxi in Mexico. That's USA culture and USA citizen thinking. Mexico has developed a very different culture than ours that values very different things.
Typically whoever is directing / paying grabs the front seat, its easier to communicate

It says a great deal if you sit up front with your wife in the back. It also to some extent at some destinations is a safety precaution because sitting beside the driver is better than being behind the driver. If a driver starts taking you someplace you don't want to go or starts doing something crazy you're going to be able to have it out with him physically in the front seat instead of swatting around at his head from a back seat. Someone sitting in the front seat is always better than leaving it vacant and being stuck in the back.

I'm not really trying to "say" anything or impress anyone when I take a taxi. And if a driver were to try to abduct me I'd rather be behind where he has no access to me and I can strangle him or gouge his eyes out, not to mention better survive the impending collision.

They know you're a touron when they pick you up at Casa del Mar and drop you off at Wet Wendys.

It says a great deal if you sit up front with your wife in the back. It also to some extent at some destinations is a safety precaution because sitting beside the driver is better than being behind the driver. If a driver starts taking you someplace you don't want to go or starts doing something crazy you're going to be able to have it out with him physically in the front seat instead of swatting around at his head from a back seat. Someone sitting in the front seat is always better than leaving it vacant and being stuck in the back.
Has this happened to you? I guess I have been lucky so far but to date I have never been forced to go to battle with my taxi driver, in Cozumel or anywhere else. ( although I may have thought about it in NY a couple of times )

Has this happened to you?

No. Taxis are safe on Cozumel but there are other areas of Mexico and other countries that I wouldn't want to be stuck in the back of a cab... An ounce of prevention = 1lb of cure.

No. Taxis are safe on Cozumel but there are other areas of Mexico and other countries that I wouldn't want to be stuck in the back of a cab... An ounce of prevention = 1lb of cure.
Dove off the back of a Jeepney on the way to Subic city a few times when they tried diverting into the jungle :eek:

Living here, which is the same as staying at a local house air bnb or something - it's great to have access to a "personal" driver. I also respect the guys qued up in line and never call private guys when getting to the ferry dock.

We have three drivers we use, depending on the area and time of day - it's not always them that show up as they'll call someone else if they aren't close. At 2 or 4am and past curfew, you better have a private number to call and it's real nice when you don't have to try and remember where the heck you live, cause he already knows lol - Casa de Carlos por favor mi amigo!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom