Where Do You Keep Your Spare Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While it was not specified, I initially understood the OP's question to be directed at divers with solo training or experience.

I suspect that the vast majority of non solo recreational divers would never even contemplate carrying a spare mask. It was never part of their training and thus the whole issue of redundancies is a foreign concept. Those who respond that their masks are somewhere other than a pocket are simply relating their own terms of reference for the question.
Good points.

Given that it's so easy to pop the mask into your pocket and that the consequences could be so great -- ranging from uncomfortable all the way through life threatening -- it seems churlish to not carry one.

But as you say, I dive solo even if I'm diving with other people. Only I am responsible for me.

I have a clip-on diverite thigh pocket for diving in a skin or shorts that contains a mask, snorkel, finger spool, dsmb, shears, and a small light. You could also get a glue-on pocket and stick that to your wetsuit if you normally dive a wetsuit. I don't dive wetsuits anymore since I bought a drysuit. Now it's drysuit or skin or shorts for me. Thigh Pocket Options There's a cheap glue-on for $20 here

And that's basically why I asked the question in the first place. Was on a dive in Coz a few years back and the dive guide was pointing out something of interest so I started making my way over to him slowly so as not to scare off what he was pointing at. Next thing I know, some newbie with a selfie stick cut me off racing over to get his shot and nearly kicked my mask off. Needless to say, I had a few words for him when we got back on the boat but it really got me thinking about the whole spare mask thing.

Then, last year I lost my mask on the surface of a lake while floating and waiting for my wife to jump in. I just leaned my head back to relax (I had my mask on my head, turned backwards like I normally do) and it slipped off into the water. Didn't even feel it come off! I almost instantly realized that leaning my head back into the water with my mask up there was not smart and I reached up to check it and it was gone. I looked down into the water and could see it sinking to the bottom (only about 30 ft). I tried to swim down after it but couldn't see well enough once I was under water. I came up and called for my wife to grab my spare mask from my gear bag but I was too far out for her to throw it to me so I had to leave the spot where my mask had gone down and swim closer to the boat. That made me lose the spot where it had gone down. If I was carrying a spare, I could have stayed right there and put it on and probably would have been able to dive right down to my dropped mask. Instead, we had to initiate a search pattern and lost about 30 min. of dive time searching for that mask (it was a brand new Atomic Subframe - I wasn't going to leave it there for someone else to find!). We did finally find it so all worked out in the end but could have worked out so much easier.

I know that second incident was kind of a freak thing but still, it goes to show that you just never know what might happen and suddenly being without a mask is just no fun at all!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think pocket shorts are worth a look for sure!

Pocketed shorts open up a venue for more useful things.

I anyways wear pocketed shorts.
Used to stow my dsmb and spool, but have since relocated it to my waist D ring.
But I still carry a magnifying glass and snoot for my camera light, and a slate.

Dive partner and I were supposed to begin the dive at one point and exit after heading straight for fifty minutes. That's where the boat would be.
Five minutes into the dive, strong current. I signal to her that we should do a one right and go with the current. She didn't understand.
I could've just started swimming in the unplanned direction but that may have left her in anticipation.
Quickly pulled out my slate and jotted down:
Swim with current?

Huge head nod from her.

Launched a dsmb the last ten minutes of the dive and the boat was waiting for us on the surface.
She thanked me profusely for the gesture.

Pockets add value.

My spare mask is thrice as compact as my dsmb/spool.

Makes no sense not to have it.

I also solo dive and feel comfortable with it.

While it was not specified, I initially understood the OP's question to be directed at divers with solo training or experience.

I suspect that the vast majority of non solo recreational divers would never even contemplate carrying a spare mask. It was never part of their training and thus the whole issue of redundancies is a foreign concept. Those who respond that their masks are somewhere other than a pocket are simply relating their own terms of reference for the question.

Yeah those people seem more to be convincing (sans mask) to themselves than anything.

It's fine. Don't bring a spare mask.
But have a solid argument to explain your reasoning/experience.

Plus their responses are logical fallacies.

I've never lost a spare mask....

OP asked where, not do you?

My second scenario demonstrates how you can loose a mask if you did that dive profile.

Maybe there are other unavoidable scenarios, that I haven't come across, that would validate a spare mask.

Good points.

Given that it's so easy to pop the mask into your pocket and that the consequences could be so great -- ranging from uncomfortable all the way through life threatening -- it seems churlish to not carry one.

But as you say, I dive solo even if I'm diving with other people. Only I am responsible for me.
Not easy, but maybe you're right.

Pocketed shorts open up a venue for more useful things.

I anyways wear pocketed shorts.
Used to stow my dsmb and spool, but have since relocated it to my waist D ring.
But I still carry a magnifying glass and snoot for my camera light, and a slate.

Dive partner and I were supposed to begin the dive at one point and exit after heading straight for fifty minutes. That's where the boat would be.
Five minutes into the dive, strong current. I signal to her that we should do a one right and go with the current. She didn't understand.
I could've just started swimming in the unplanned direction but that may have left her in anticipation.
Quickly pulled out my slate and jotted down:
Swim with current?

Huge head nod from her.

Launched a dsmb the last ten minutes of the dive and the boat was waiting for us on the surface.
She thanked me profusely for the gesture.

Pockets add value.

My spare mask is thrice as compact as my dsmb/spool.

Makes no sense not to have it.

I also solo dive and feel comfortable with it.

Yeah those people seem more to be convincing (sans mask) to themselves than anything.

It's fine. Don't bring a spare mask.
But have a solid argument to explain your reasoning/experience.

Plus their responses are logical fallacies.

I've never lost a spare mask....

OP asked where, not do you?

My second scenario demonstrates how you can loose a mask if you did that dive profile.

Maybe there are other unavoidable scenarios, that I haven't come across, that would validate a spare mask.
You're right in that people respond saying whether or not they take a spare mask with them on the dive, which was not at all the OP's question. I found out people do that all the time shortly after joining in 2007.....and of course am guilty too. Well, he did ask "where do you stow your mask"....in the car, etc.

I think possibly the type of diving you do may be a factor. Your mask may be ripped off in a current at 100'. I almost had my reg mouthpiece ripped out by current in the Gulf of Mex. going down an anchor line, so switched to the modable mouthpiece. If my mask falls off in my usual 30-40 feet of non-current water I have no worries about simply surfacing if I can't retrieve it.... CESA.

Diving a BP/W with one pocket just big enough to hold my SMB and Reel.
If not in a pocket, where do you all stow your spare mask? So far, I haven't been taking one on dives but I feel like I should. Just don't have a good place to keep it!

i would say it depends on the type of diving you are doing.

if you are diving in ow with at least one buddy then i would say leave the spare (if you have one) on shore.

if you are ow solo diving then it might not be a bad idea. although i would not consider it a necessity.

if you are diving solo in an over head environment then i would say you should def be carrying one.

if diving with a buddy or team in an over head environment i would think someone should have a spare. i am honestly not sure what the commonly accepted protocol would be in this case. would each team member carry a spare ? perhaps.

if you dive a full face mask then you would def carry one.

I carry my spare mask on my head...now that you up from the floor from laughing let me explain.
When I started diving back in 1959 I had trouble losing my mask when doing a beach entry. If you didn't get your timing just right and caught a rogue wave that would tear your mask from your head. I talk to my instructor (Harry Vetter) and this is what he told me to do. First, get or make a lanyard, you know the kind you made in summer camp or boy scouts. You would attach it to the buckle of your mask (not the strap) then place the loop over your head now your set for most conditions that you will encounter.
I don't know how this got lost over time, but it did. Maybe what was old should be new again.

I carry my spare mask on my head...now that you up from the floor from laughing let me explain.
When I started diving back in 1959 I had trouble losing my mask when doing a beach entry. If you didn't get your timing just right and caught a rogue wave that would tear your mask from your head. I talk to my instructor (Harry Vetter) and this is what he told me to do. First, get or make a lanyard, you know the kind you made in summer camp or boy scouts. You would attach it to the buckle of your mask (not the strap) then place the loop over your head now your set for most conditions that you will encounter.
I don't know how this got lost over time, but it did. May what was old should be new again.
Excellent! Actually I have a variation on that albeit not as secure. For several years I have bungeed my mouthpiece in my mouth as a precaution in case I ever go unconscious diving solo. The mask goes on first and the bungee cord around the top/back of my head. That should hold the mask on well long enough to grab it if something breaks.

You're now required to carry three flashlights.

full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom