Turneffe Flats for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishCity

Contributor
Reaction score
The Washington Post had an article about Turneffe Flats in Belize that looked interesting especially if Fiji is a no-go this year. Looks like the resort has worked out a way to shepherd vaccinated guests in and out of the country.
I realize resort amenities likely have changed, but has anyone been in the past? Wondering what snorkeling is like. Seems it's guided only, but I wonder if it's sub par compared to the diving opportunities. We are not interested in diving (medical reason), kayaking, or fishing at all. Is there any reason for snorkelers to go to Blue Hole? Is it possible for snorkelers to go with divers or are the sites just unsuitable?
We welcome other suggestions for snorkel suitable places on the Mesoamerican/Palancar Reef.
We are fully vaccinated.
Many thanks!

I assume you are referring to Turneffe Flats Resort.

We went there back in 2007, so take this for what it is worth.

On our first day, for our third dive we did a site they called Hollywood Shallows. My wife’s dive log showed a maximum depth of 30 feet, and a dive duration of an hour (which we think we cut short since it was our third dive of the first day).

We both remember it as absolutely stunning in terms of visibility and marine life. Additionally the trip out to the dive site was over a number of shallow areas as well.

With regard to the Blue Hole. We were the only two divers that week, but they did take two snorkelers on their big boat with us that day.

It is our understanding that the two snorkelers were taken out daily with a guide to suitable sites.

Hope this helps.

My wife and I stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort twice about ten years ago. It's at the southern tip of the Atoll but but not far from Turneffe Flats. Although we were diving, there were snorkelers on both trips. They went out on their own guided tours each day but also accompanied us on our weekly trips to the Blue Hole. It's been so long that I can't be very specific, but I do remember they enjoyed themselves.

FWIW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom