Does band width matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTF

Coney Island Whitefish Biologist
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Talking about the Z dimension of the bands themselves. Is bigger significantly stronger or more stable? Are the bigger ones required for heavy tanks or face-sealing manifolds? Does it matter at all?

Couple of pics from the internet for reference:
725-Stainless-Steel-1-Tank-Bands-Double-Twinset.jpg

VS.
dx-705580a_1.jpg

Thanks!

No Bandwidth does not matter.
I use both sizes it is tied into the back plate - when I carry mine they stay together - independent doubles with no slipping or shifting.

The only thing I might see better about wide ones would be to mitigate racking. If you 'dropped' the twins and one tanks hits the ground before the other. Providing the bands are tight enough to not slip, the wider should have better resistance to bending and loading the manifold.

But normal reality, the same.

Given a choice, go thicker......

The thinner bands are harder to assemble in perfect alignment, unless you have a perfectly flat table or floor (rarer than you realize).

Dropping the doubles (more common than you imagine) on one tank or at an angle can "rack" them and shove them out of alignment. If bad enough you can bend the manifold slightly although you usually don't notice until assembly or disassembly at a later date. They rarely bend enough to leak.

"Band width matters!"

It is very important to adhere to different band widths for different periods is diving

Broad bands are just unnecessary, do not fit shorter tanks, and generally very ugly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom