BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got an out of office message when I sent my email. She is out of the office until April 5. You may want to make sure you sent to the correct address. Messages from concerned divers may not help, but they will not hurt.

See the post by @drrich2 BHB on Undercurrent
You're right, I got the OOO message as well but missed it. Apparently the "search entire mailbox" feature in outlook doesn't include the junk folder. I never noticed that before.

upload_2021-4-1_11-9-28.jpeg

FWIW I actually had a brief interaction with Dr Botel through FB the day the signs were removed. Mine were among many other messages but she took the time to respond to me personally and at that point had actually moderated her position and had plans to hold a virtual public meeting and hoped to post the date. I think since then the response was so large this plan was further moderated and I since fell out of touch knowing there were better representatives of the BHB than I.

But I was impressed that she did respond and in a very respectful and professional manner.

Dr Botel was reelected on March 9

See this post from her facebook page from March 1

upload_2021-4-1_11-30-55.png

Hi @uncfnp what was the date when no fishing signs came down? During your visit in Feb? Do you know when they went up?

View attachment 651126

Hi @uncfnp what was the date when no fishing signs came down? Do you know when they went up?
I will go back and check my records but the signs were first noticed Feb 22 so placed the day before or that morning. The posts/news started that day, the 22nd, and I believe the signs were removed that very evening.

Yep. She found out about it Feb 22 and called FDOT that day. The signs were removed that evening. Obviously no time was spend investigating the issue before she took action.

Dr Botel was reelected on March 9

See this post from her facebook page from March 1

View attachment 651126

Hi @uncfnp what was the date when no fishing signs came down? During your visit in Feb? Do you know when they went up?

I am impressed! Thank you for doing the research and posting this! Dr. Botel's approach seems reasonable (almost Solomon like). As opposed to the many unreasonable calls on this board by divers to ban fishing completely.

I will go back and check my records but the signs were first noticed Feb 22 so placed the day before or that morning. The posts/news started that day, the 22nd, and I believe the signs were removed that very evening.

Yep. She found out about it Feb 22 and called FDOT that day. The signs were removed that evening. Obviously no time was spend investigating the issue before she took action.

I have to wonder about the amount of time investigating the situation before the signs went up?

I have to wonder about the amount of time investigating the situation before the signs went up?
I will assume this as a real question.
It seems Dr Botel was not significantly involved in the issues with BHB prior to the postings. It is one of the reasons she had to hold interviews and meetings after the event to get up to speed. (Or at least make the appearance of considering both sides. I am not aware of her political ideologies and do not wish to bring politics into this discussion.)

Perhaps someone else is more aware of the events that lead to the postings on the bridge.

EF8A5B6C-65B2-470E-9424-4140B28B3C7D.jpeg
C5A68924-CFCE-4BC9-BDB1-5FA8E068C4DA.jpeg
View attachment 651137
8ED55A5F-9708-4D0E-AB80-C0E067F01957.jpeg

John. It is not the dedicated fishing pier that is under discussion. It is a section of
state bridge. The fishing pier is within the park and not part of the debate.

As I indicated previously, I was unaware that the calls for banning fishing were pertaining only to the little bridge and not for the fishing pier itself.

I know that hundreds if not thousands of divers dive under the dedicated fishing pier when fisherman are present each year. As far as I know there is no explicit rule that excludes divers from this area.

So it is difficult for me to understand why there are apparently no problems or conflicts with the fisherman and divers at the pier (or at least none that the people on this thread are discussion) but ALL the "problems" are confined entirely to the little bridge for the Blue Heron BLVD. Is my observation/conclusion mistaken?

If I am correct, then why would all the "bad" fisherman be entirely limited to the bridge and not the pier?

If fishing is entirely incompatible with divers, then does it make sense to rope off a significant buffer area all around the fishing pier and issue divers huge fines that transgress these boundaries? Does that sort of give and take in adjusting the existing rights of divers and fishermen make sense if the two activities are "oil and water" and any sort of "overlap in utilization" presents a clear and significant threat to the public's safety?

T
I am going to try and lower the temperature here. What you stated here makes complete and logical sense. A rope boundary underwater, sounds like an excellent idea! However what we are talking about is taking place in Florida (Flor a DUH). Often common sense is missing especially in regards to public officials, and lack of common sense almost seems like a way of life here (Don't get me wrong, I have been here for 29 years and enjoy it immensely).

Sure it is common sense to have a boundary, as the two activities are not compatible. That doesn't mean that every time there is one or more divers and one or more people fishing that someone will intentionally/unintentionally get hooked, there is simply a risk. With the local dive site to which I was referring, there's some interesting stuff inside that boundary. For the sake of safety, something had to give. The one thing that people may not realize is how when there is an incident, even if they were to be there that day, they wouldn't know. There was a fatality at a local dive site a few years ago where a young woman lost her life. At the end of the second dive, the instructor signaled everyone to surface, and when they collected there, the young woman was not there. Her body was found by someone who responded to the call to find her.

There was another class from another dive shop that was sharing that dive site. Now they finished up sooner. The instructor of that other class was just wrapping up packing as he learned of the missing diver. All his students and assistants were already gone. Given 5 more minutes, and he would have left as well. So there you had a class of 12 students, 3 assistants, and 1 instructor right next to where the fatality occurred that morning. Yet only the instructor learned of it. That's why I don't think the number of dives you've had there is significant. An angry person fishing who decides to hook a diver, succeeds in doing so, will be gone in under 60 seconds. Other people fishing may not even be aware of what they did. And you expect LE to be able to catch this person? And also there is risk of a person fishing unintentionally hooking a diver which I would hope would be more common than malicious intent of the unfortunate incidents of divers getting hooked.

I'm curious as to what decision the authorities will ultimately make, but I'm not optimistic there will be one that will ensure safety for the divers without denying one group or the other access. If they find one, feel free to send me a recipe for crow. May I request something that would go well with fava beans and chianti?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom