BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy, I didn't realize I would trigger you to this extent. I didn't realize that I was violating SB's ToS by commenting on a universal issue. And yeah, LE is not going to be there 24/7/365. Your observation of one day or even 900 days are not statistically significant.

But you are right about one thing. I couldn't help myself! :poke::rofl3:

I have simple solution to all this arguing, go read the post that started this thread. Send Dr. Botel an email explaining what an expert you are on the situation. I am sure she will act swiftly to put you're expert advice immediately into action.

I should have fact checked that before posting but does not change any of the other points,
This I have definitely not seen yet in this thread although I will agree that you are very opinionated on the topic.

Agreed, I am opinionated on the topic. Nice try at pretending you're not.

Agreed, I am opinionated on the topic. Nice try at pretending you're not.
Oh no. I have an opinion. I am just not blind to the right of others to also have one. I enjoy a lively informed debate but have no respect for emotional arguments and insulting comebacks.

If you know anything about statistics n > 30 is considered significant. 900 over 27 years, n>30.
So you were there for the entire 24 hours observing the activity on the bridge? If yes, then I apologize, your sample size is significant. If not, you need to divide the number of days by the minutes per day where you actually observed things.

Didn't you know? @wetb4igetinthewater is an expert on BHB even though he has never been there.
Never claimed to have been one, but thanks for playing. Others have posted in this thread where they were hooked or know of people who required hospitalization as a result. That's a problem. Not a frequently occuring one, but a problem nonetheless. So you never observed it. Even with your frequent diving, your lack of observation of such doesn't mean they never occured. This problem has a simple solution, as the competing activities cannot coexist.

There are reasons why, at least in my area, there is no diving by fishing piers. There is no diving by boat ramps. Where there is a dive park next to a fishing pier, there is a rope boundary underwater.

Oh no. I have an opinion. I am just not blind to the right of others to also have one. I enjoy a lively informed debate but have no respect for emotional arguments and insulting comebacks.

This is like going down a rabbit hole as you posted earlier. Interesting that you need to point out that I am opinionated (guilty as charged), but at the same time claiming that you don't have an opinion. Obviously you do, and when I point it out your upset? If you have no respect for insulting comebacks and emotional responses why are your posting them? If you feel as if I have attacked you personally, it's not my intent,I sincerely apologize. I will state this clearly one more time, the problem is a criminal matter, it needs to be dealt with by LE (IMHO). Arguments that LE can't catch the individuals because its too difficult are laughable (IMHO). One FWC officer checking fishing licenses at high tide, for a few days should put a major crimp in the activity, regardless of whether the perp is there or not (IMHO). No need to punish all fisherman because of the actions of a few, its shortsighted and makes divers calling for a ban on fishing look like an extremely selfish group of individuals (IMHO). If anybody has opinions otherwise that's fine, they are entitled to their opinions as I am mine. My intent here has been to offer counter arguments to what IMHO, are absurd arguments that have are IMHO completely in the self interest of those making said arguments.

There are reasons why, at least in my area, there is no diving by fishing piers. There is no diving by boat ramps. Where there is a dive park next to a fishing pier, there is a rope boundary underwater.

I am going to try and lower the temperature here. What you stated here makes complete and logical sense. A rope boundary underwater, sounds like an excellent idea! However what we are talking about is taking place in Florida (Flor a DUH). Often common sense is missing especially in regards to public officials, and lack of common sense almost seems like a way of life here (Don't get me wrong, I have been here for 29 years and enjoy it immensely).

Phil Foster Park (BHB) is a very busy place. COVID has made it even more so. Boats everywhere, fisherman everywhere, divers everywhere, swimmers, snorkelers, paddle boarders, beach goers, kayakers, picnickers, homeless individuals, and a small assorted amount of criminals (drug dealers, drug users, thieves, and apparently fisherman with malicious intent).

The place is wide open. So maybe things would be easier if boundaries were demarcated. The swim zone and the boat channel are demarcated. However, snorkelers and divers usually without intent wonder into the boat channel, boats occasionally come into or to close to the swim area. It used to be that divers stayed out of the swim area, but they put the snorkel trail inside the swim area so divers are there all the time. Lifeguards used to tell divers to enter the water outside the swim zone, but they seem to have capitulated to the amount of divers a while ago. There is no official demarcation for dive zones. The fishing pier in the park is obviously thus, but no signs tell divers that they can't be under it. I was standing on the fishing pier the other day, and there was a dive flag smack in the middle of the channel under the west span of the bridge (talk about a lack of self preservation!) Amazingly all of this activity goes on with very little conflict. BTW the small bridge on the Eastside where the alleged malicious fishing is taking place is not inside the park, but it all falls loosely under the normal definition of BHB.

My own self interest is this, I dive there on the east and west side sometimes pushing the limits of being where maybe I shouldn't be (I do always have a flag, but its a matter of begging forgiveness vs. asking permission so to speak), often in an attempt to escape other divers. I would prefer not have ANYBODY making up a bunch of rules (no fishing for example), that might impact where and where I cannot dive there. For me, one group trying to limit the access of another group for former groups benefit is unreasonable, and a sure fire way for even more groups to pile in and attempt the same thing. We could argue ad nauseam about the economic impacts of fishing vs. diving vs. boating, vs. general tourism, etc. As messy as it might be in its current state, I prefer the mess to everybody trying to regulate everybody else. Again let me caveat all IMHO. And finally, as I apologized to @uncfnp , if you feel as if I am have personally attacked you, I sincerely apologize.

I'm hoping that many emails to Dr Julia Botel jbotel@rivierabeach.org will raise this topic to the level of further discussion.
Seems dubious to me at this point. I didn't get any response from her office, not even a "thanks for commenting."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. City council people of small towns (small compared to Miami or Atlanta or something) in my experience don't give much of a crap. I had one of my local city council reps literally tell me that to my face during a meeting once. The problem is that often they run completely unopposed or opposed by someone with insufficient funding to defeat an incumbent, and most people could not care less who is on city council.

Seems dubious to me at this point. I didn't get any response from her office, not even a "thanks for commenting."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. City council people of small towns (small compared to Miami or Atlanta or something) in my experience don't give much of a crap. I had one of my local city council reps literally tell me that to my face during a meeting once. The problem is that often they run completely unopposed or opposed by someone with insufficient funding to defeat an incumbent, and most people could not care less who is on city council.

I looked DR. Botel up. Earlier this year or last year a lawsuit had been filed to prevent her from getting on the ballot, I don't no what the final outcome was. The way I fiound about this situation was through undercurrent. I don't know what the circulation is but I bet at a minimum it's in the tens of thousands. So perhaps DR. Botel's inbox is filling up with emails from a whole a bunch divers, the vast majority of whom are not her constituents. After a few hundred emails saying the same thing, they all start to become spam. So you very well maybe right that she doesn't care what the divers have to say.

I got an out of office message when I sent my email. She is out of the office until April 5. You may want to make sure you sent to the correct address. Messages from concerned divers may not help, but they will not hurt.

See the post by @drrich2 BHB on Undercurrent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom