Rock Boots vs Integrated Boots and Floaty Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disagree, in my Yukon the inflator valve would be painfully squeezed into my chest while my feet were like the stay puff marshmallow man.
Unless you are diving with your feet above everything else, Physics says no.

In proper trim your feet are higher.
In proper trim, your ankles are probably 10" higher than your chest, maybe 15". You stated your feet were like the stay puff marshmallow man, but your chest was being crushed by the inflator. Do you see where I am going with this? One of these statements doesn't make sense with the other.

As is stating that lace up boots are the only answer. An equipment solution. If your boots don't fit, I get it, it would be annoying to dive that way, but it has nothing to do with the style of boot.
If you are head heavy, your tanks are positioned incorrectly or you need a tail weight on them.
When you stop moving, you should stop moving, not flip over forward.
If you start with the basics, everything else becomes simple.
His feet don’t match the built in boots, something the average generic sized person may never conceptualize.

My used suit came with boots, probably a size or 2 too big. I use 2 layers of wool socks (even in the summer) to "fill out" around the foot. In the beginning I hated the boots, I even had plans to cut them off. After 10-15 dives I got used to being in a drysuit and managing the bubble better. I don't even think about having light feet anymore.

I did get heavier fins for drysuit diving, that helped also.

I'd be willing to try something different, but I think I'd need another 10-15 dives to feel comfortable in whatever it was.

His feet don’t match the built in boots, something the average generic sized person may never conceptualize.
It isn't that we can't conceptualize it, it is merely that it is silly to say you should only use rock boots because I had a suit with the wrong size boots installed. Change the boots if they don't fit, to whatever type you like, attached or separate. Suits and boots that don't fit aren't an ideal setup.

It isn't that we can't conceptualize it, it is merely that it is silly to say you should only use rock boots because I had a suit with the wrong size boots installed. Change the boots if they don't fit, to whatever type you like, attached or separate. Suits and boots that don't fit aren't an ideal setup.
Or avoid the nonsense altogether and don’t buy a suit that doesn’t work, neoprene socks/feet give nearly endless options.

Or avoid the nonsense altogether and don’t buy a suit that doesn’t work, neoprene socks/feet give nearly endless options.

Yup if the socks are too big, no problem once in the boots it doesn't matter.

Related matter, my first suit was a DUI TLS with socks, no issue.

Second suit DUI Yukon, nothing but issues. I did figure out how to dive it, but it is a pain.

Current suit DUI flex extreme fabulous so far but only a couple dives. Can already tell it dives very well though.

my feet were like the stay puff marshmallow man.
Can't comment on non typical feet, but for the rest - this has to do nothing with the type of drysuit boots. This is all about excess gas in the drysuit.
Trying to eliminate marshmallow man feet with a help of rock boots is just replacement of skills with gear.

I'm with @Tracy here. Integrated boots aren't necessarily the problem. If they are sized too big, they need to be replaced or filled out with socks. I recommend replacing as filling them out with socks still makes them feel sloppy. A proper custom suit (as I have already mentioned) allows you the option of picking the boot size.

Neoprene/trilam socks and boots are not always the answer either (Wanna know how many times I've plugged holes in them? I couldn't even tell you). If the sock is too large and you stuff it into a smaller boot, the wrinkles and folding of the trilam is uncomfortable, especially for new divers. Like the boot, the sock should fit well and the lace up boots should not be a crutch to allow you to use the suit. Plus, dive cold water (I mean like proper, less than 5*C water cold) and tell me cinching down your boots for them to fit is ok when the tightness removes all the loft from your thermals. This is where integrated boots come into their own, and I do believe are the best cold water option. Down south, sure, socks and boots.

If you're head down with doubles on, you shouldn't be. Zero movement (no fin kicks, no waving hands, in trim) and you should sit level, in trim. If you're going head down, either you need to move your tanks, get a tail weight, or heavier fins like the SP Jets.

If I'm lending out my tanks my buddy is either: 1. Going to deal with where I have my bands/rigging, or 2. Gonna change it themselves. I can change it back and I don't mind.

Finally, the excess gas in the suit is likely part of the problem, alongside the boots being too large. Excess air moves to this space, and then if a pain to get out. Again I recommend changing the boots to the correct size. It is an easy modification for most places that do work on suits. My shop does this probably once a month for people.

Enjoy your diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom