• Yes, due to failed electronics

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Yes, due to loss of gas in the rebreather

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Yes, for another reason not listed

Votes: 50 38.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was huffing and puffing clearing a fouled prop, once free, I felt a little off (I really, really, really don’t like CO2), signalled and bailed out. We were nearly done the dive already, and fairly shallow..

_R

I've had to cut a prop' free on OC. They had me on a safety line under the boat (2-3m), in a tide. I almost emptied a 12 litre cylinder. I physically couldn't get up the ladder by the end. I would have hated to be on CC.

Closest was when one of the hoses slipped out from the BOV, apparently due to a loose clamp + vibration due to dpv usage. Luckily, it was at the end of the dive, so by then had no deco and was so close to the beach that I just stood up and walked out to the shore. However the RB was completely flooded and sensors soaking, so has to replace the three of them.

In one of my early first dives after certification I had not set the loop hoses up properly and so the mouthpiece was trying to come out of my mouth the whole dive. I did not notice it during the prebreathe but as soon as I hit the water. Stupidly tried to just deal with it and did pretty well until we were about to free the hook. As I helped with the hook the mouthpiece popped out of my mouth. I probably could have reinserted the mouthpiece and cleared the FMCL's but I had had enough and felt better just finishing the dive on open circuit. Lesson learned; I am much more anal about setting up my loop hoses to the point I will often throw the rebreather on my back without cylinders and scrubber to make sure the hoses are perfect.

Once from a bad cell, second dive of the day and it was fine on the first. I was basically at the sign in Ginnie when one cell went crazy high (3+). There was no reason to "nurse" it out or try and do some elaborate diagnostics. I just switched to OC and left to figure it out on the surface. Only explanation after the fact was a perforated membrane.

Once from a torn mouthpiece and partial flood.

I had to bail out due to weird sensor readings caused by moisture on one of the cells. I did a write up on it here: (nearly) Hard earned lesson

Entirely my fault, CCR was working as it should have.

Oh, and once during a 20 foot reef dive on an Inspiration. I had a small bubble stream coming out of the case, so my buddy/instructor opened up the case to chase it down. In the process he turned off my dil. What he didn't know was that concurrently the mouthpiece on the loop came off, so I had switched to my oc reg (onboard bailout ony... we were at 20 feet!). So now I'm out of gas. Give the signal to the other buddy to air share, and all he has is the dumb air2 thing that the old inspos came with (it was a 20 foot dive!).

Instructor pops his head up, see me breathing off my other buddies inflator hose and says 'What the f*#k?" I don't even remember what the leak was from, but it all got buttoned back up, gas on, swapped back to CC and we continued with the dive.

Batteries died on long dive with Hammerhead Rev C lithium batteries 14650 on both primary and secondary. I could have chosen to dive SCR since this occurred on deco but determined there was plenty of open circuit gas for deco and chose to bailout. I've been diving a sidewinder now but have installed a fischer as secondary so i can extend dives beyond the 5hr or so limit with rev c.

not in the water except for overbreathing my lungs or overheating and having to cool off a bit, though the two tend to go hand in hand, especially with my sidemount unit where I am breathing directly through the scrubber without an inhale counterlung. Had to dive OC a couple times due to various things misbehaving, but all caught during predive.

Once after Inspiration Classic ADV seat blew up. Start of the dive so thought better to call it and check the fault.

Oh and one other time I was starting the accent from a 50m mine dive. Back at the shaft at 50m and ready to accent I checked the handsets. Both were off!!!

Bailed out for the time turning the unit back on. Cell readings matched the dill flush so went back to loop.

The on/off buttons are protruding on the handsets. I think they had snagged on drysuit, counterlungs or bailout tanks and turned off. I just had checked my bailout tanks and handsets had probably moved against my drysuit or counterlungs. I had the handsets clipped to the counterlung D-rings displays toward body. I had checked them maybe 5 minutes earlier.
Leve?selk? mine - IMG_2286.jpg

I had to once - CO2 hit. Post dive analysis found my mushroom valves needed replacing (they passed the pre-dive checks). I get migraines easily and found that it caused one while diving, and I puked into the loop, which alerted me to the fog and I bailed out. I don't recommend puking into a rebreather loop - but it was a great CO2 "alarm" system.

I was glad it was towards the end of the dive - finished my decompression on bailout and fead the fishes some more :)

Back
Top Bottom