Rock Boots vs Integrated Boots and Floaty Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same issue with integrated boots here

I had the opposite. Socks and boots just sucked for me. Might be my little size 9 and the socks all feel like they are for a size 12. I fought boot issues the whole time I had the first drysuit with socks. A couple different rock boots, wetsuit booties, added gaiters. When that suit got enough leaks I just ordered up a suit with boots built in. WAY better. Boots were a little large, calfs would sometimes get floaty. Gaitors fixed that. Now I had something divable. And that suit delaminated. Damn, another suit. At least there was a sorry about that discount applied to a replacment. Learned my lesson, got boots again but a size down this time. They fit great. Next was a made to measure suit. And realize my calves are smallish. The suit was made to measure including the calves. Now I don't need the gaitors anymore.

To that must of my diving is done from a boat or from a car parked right next to the water. Actual hikes are extremely rare. Scrambles up rocky shores, not really. But for those who do, yes real boots do make sense. Just like I don't dive like you, your requirements don't apply to everyone.

There are other ways to trim out in the water besides getting heavier fins. Move the tanks a little lower, raise the wing a little higher, etc.

For where I'm diving, integrated boots are much better as often we find people cinching down their boots to the point of having no loft in their undergarments. Also with a generic suit for training divers, or a stock suit bought off the rack, the socks often bunch in the rock boot and can be very uncomfortable.

Just like I don't dive like you, your requirements don't apply to everyone.

There are other ways to trim out in the water besides getting heavier fins. Move the tanks a little lower, raise the wing a little higher, etc.

Also this. I have a 6.5mm Neoprene suit for the winter here, with integrated boots. With Jet fins, I have no trouble with floaty feet and have enough loft for a 30+min dive in water 0*C or below. Trimming out a steel tank properly allows this, and I have helped others with the same issues.

Suits, like other equipment, are tools to allow us underwater. Choose the right tool for the dive. Neoprene suits and Integrated boots are 90% of the time the right choice in my area. Down south, a trilam is likely more appropriate for most conditions.

As I have to change my boots since they're just barely big enough, maybe I'll go the route of the socks and rock boots. If there's anyone out there who has changed boots, or boots to socks, would you send me a PM so I can discuss the procedure with you. Thanks.

One of my buddies had his done by the Waterproof agent here in Dubai when they were altering the suit as he has short legs and a large torso.

Floaty feet are not existed problem if you add gas into the drysuit for squeeze compensation only.

snimok-ehkrana-2020-07-09-v-9-58-31-png-596992-png.600933.png

http://pdf.divedui.com/DUI_Manuals-Current/DUI-Drysuit_Manual-English.pdf (p.48)

P.S. my first drysuit was with socks and rockboots, the second was with "TurboSoles" (Tech Boots actually) and I was afraid of floaty feet ordering it, but as my first drysuit was DUI and I carefully read its manual there was no difference at all. Now I use Seaskin Nova with integrated boots without any issues either.

P.P.S. socks and rockboots - never again)))

If the attached boots are having that much effect, there is too much air in your suit. Air should only be added to compensate for squeeze. If the boot is 8" too long, it will be smashed flat if the suit is inflated properly during the dive, not floating full of air.

If the attached boots are having that much effect, there is too much air in your suit. Air should only be added to compensate for squeeze. If the boot is 8" too long, it will be smashed flat if the suit is inflated properly during the dive, not floating full of air.

Disagree, in my Yukon the inflator valve would be painfully squeezed into my chest while my feet were like the stay puff marshmallow man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom