XDeep Classic or Tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradymsu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm moving to sidemount this spring from backmount doubles primarily as an additional safety factor while solo diving along with the other benefits sidemount provides. In my sidemount class, I tried several setups and prefer the simplicity of the Mexican style. The conventional wisdom online points to an XDeep sidemount setup. But should I get the Classic or the Tec?

Nearly all my dives are done in a drysuit. While the majority of my dives are recreational, I do enough technical diving to need the capacity to carry one or two deco/stage bottles at times. With my LP 85 doubles I intend to break up for sidemount, I'm currently using a 6 lb steel backplate and an additional 5 lbs of trim weight for buoyancy. That's with a shell drysuit and Weezle Extreme+ undergarments. It looks like the Classic can handle four tanks and has adequate lift while also being more compact. So I'm wondering why the Tec version seems to be much more popular instead. Should I focus on the Classic or the Tec?

Completely unrelated sidemount question for anyone with XS Scuba UFO float: Can it carry two LP 85 tanks for shore dives involving longer walks out in the water before diving depth is reached?

I've dove both in 85 F water. Warm water rash gaurd only. I used the Tec in my technical dives. ~20 dives. I used the classic on ~30 recreational dives.

My opinion, the classic is great if you are traveling and don't need more lift. Otherwise the tec is better: bigger wing and feels more solidly connected to you. Whenever I switch from classic to tec, (wearing rashguard only), I notice the classic's bungee across my front that digs into me. To me, the TEC also does not feel any bigger then the classic when underwater.

Also you can buy the tec and just get the classic wing only in the future.

I have the Tec.

One thing I modified was to add a ball / halyard stopper to the dump so you can grab it easier.

Tec model all the way. I frequently dive with an al80 and al40 deco tank In saltwater in a wetsuit and the 42 pound lift is ok. I cannot see using much less lift.

the rb is quite a deal at only $100 more. You might not be diving in a drysuit In the Caribbean.

Tec model all the way. I frequently dive with an al80 and al40 deco tank In saltwater in a wetsuit and the 42 pound lift is ok. I cannot see using much less lift.

the rb is quite a deal at only $100 more. You might not be diving in a drysuit In the Caribbean.

What lift do you feel is minimum necessary for 2 80s and a 40 in a wetsuit? Even the Rec has more lift than necessary in that config.

RB version grossly unnecessary.

To OP: either will satisfy your needs. There's less flummoxing and gear-up "faff" with a Tec or Rec.

Classic will do nicely........more than enough lift for steel tanks and 2 Al deco/stage bottles.

Classic will do nicely........more than enough lift for steel tanks and 2 Al deco/stage bottles.
Should I wear a one piece wetsuit, or a two piece wetsuit.

Classic needs more preparation than a Tec/Rec as the bladder's separate. A Tec (wouldn't bother with a Rec) is nice and simple: put it on, clip on the tins, dive.

Thank you all. Now to figure out whether I should be looking at the xDeep Stealth 2.0 or a Razor 2.5. I'm not finding any comparisons of the two here.

Nearly all my dives are done in a drysuit. While the majority of my dives are recreational, I do enough technical diving to need the capacity to carry one or two deco/stage bottles at times. With my LP 85 doubles I intend to break up for sidemount,

Al40 holds 3lb of nitrox
Al80 holds just shy of 6lb of nitrox
LP85 hold ~8lbs of nitrox at HP fill

Aside from the negative weight of the LP tanks and other equipment, that’s how much lift you need at a minimum.

_R

Back
Top Bottom