Is UTD still a "fringe" organization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the UTD divers I know (40 or 50, I Dmed for a bunch of classes via the local UTD instructors) are solid for their level - mostly because they want to be and their instructors facilitated that. The name on the card is a bit ancillary.
Same as the gooists. It's a pleasure to watch them do their synchronised diving and drills. Never a trail of silt behind them.

Right, whilst we're here talking about UTD, someone's just posted about a UTD "Z" sidemount system. What on earth is that all about???

Sidemount's about as simple and reliable as you'd ever want. Sure, it's a bit fiddly to get configured to your exact sizing, but once over that, it's superb. I just don't understand why anyone would want to complicate it by adding a manifold. Sidemount's pretty much standardised to a short hose to bungeed necklace on the LH cylinder and a longhose around the neck to the RH cylinder. The only modification from "DIR" would be the use of a break-away O-ring to secure the longhose boltsnap -- so you can pull it off your RH D-ring when breathing from the other reg.

Anyone know why they add a manifold and another valve behind your head, when the two cylinders are perfectly happy beside and in front of you -- it's a hell of a lot more accessible than getting to the valves of backmounted cylinders!

Right, whilst we're here talking about UTD, someone's just posted about a UTD "Z" sidemount system. What on earth is that all about???

Sidemount's about as simple and reliable as you'd ever want. Sure, it's a bit fiddly to get configured to your exact sizing, but once over that, it's superb. I just don't understand why anyone would want to complicate it by adding a manifold. Sidemount's pretty much standardised to a short hose to bungeed necklace on the LH cylinder and a longhose around the neck to the RH cylinder. The only modification from "DIR" would be the use of a break-away O-ring to secure the longhose boltsnap -- so you can pull it off your RH D-ring when breathing from the other reg.

Anyone know why they add a manifold and another valve behind your head, when the two cylinders are perfectly happy beside and in front of you -- it's a hell of a lot more accessible than getting to the valves of backmounted cylinders!
LOL where have you been?

That monstrosity has been around for about 5 years now, and is perfect evidence that Andrew (founder of UTD) is not really a cave diver, least of all a sidemount one. But he is good about creating solutions to non-existent problems to drain wallets

I think I’m one of the few UTD instructors active on SB.....and hopefully I’m viewed as a non-koolaid drinker and offer unbiased but knowledgeable info. Always willing to answer any questions I can.

I think the point is to give you a manifold while sidemounting, so you can skip switching between the two tanks. Seems kind of silly to me. Even OW divers learn how to switch between regulators when they do the air share drills.

I think I’m one of the few UTD instructors active on SB.....and hopefully I’m viewed as a non-koolaid drinker and offer unbiased but knowledgeable info. Always willing to answer any questions I can.

care to answer the questions above then?

A few people have mentioned that UTD "does things differently" at least from GUE, so my question is what do they do differently? And what are the pros/cons to the differences? Are we talking minor differences in their training model, or radically different approaches to procedures underwater?

I don't know anything about the organization.

Some of the more salient differences to me
  1. UTD Allows students to come in at higher than "fundamentals" course levels. With GUE you start at the bottom unless you are basically a diving god already (if you have to ask how this is defined you absolutely are not one)
  2. UTD Uses 25/25 with O2 in the ~90-130ft depth range vs switching to 21/35 & 50% >100ft down to 150ft
  3. UTD Ratio deco vs mainly Decoplanner use with GUE (they do have the rudiments of ratio deco)
  4. Slightly different valve drills but people make way too much of this
  5. The stupid Z manifold is allowed with UTD, GUE has a cave SM course but is not going to teach you entry level tech diving in SM at all. SM is a post cave2 course.
  6. GUE has a global community of satellite orgs with potential buddies and projects you *might* be able to join in - while UTD basically does not have any global community or spin off groups
  7. GUE satellite organizations are likely require their tech training before inviting you on their charters (rec charters are likely open to anyone)

That monstrosity has been around for about 5 years now, and is perfect evidence that Andrew (founder of UTD) is not really a cave diver, least of all a sidemount one. But he is good about creating solutions to non-existent problems to drain wallets

The stupid Z manifold is allowed with UTD,

The great thing about UTD and GUE is they both really value the core skills. Anyone who's seen them and then see a bunch of DiveMASTERs could probably tell the difference.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of team diving. Totally understand it's reasoning, but still not that bothered about it and much prefer to dive independently, even if that's with other divers.

For any newbies to technical diving, please look at GUE's Fundimentals course. It teaches you rock solid core skills and how to use your twinset. Would expect a similar level of course from UTD. Moving on to other courses from the likes of TDI, IANTD, etc. is straightforward thereafter as your core skills will be properly sorted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom