Mako "Professional Inflatable Spearfishing Float"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Evening all. I just wanted to leave my first time experience with the Mako float I received as a gift for Christmas.

In general, I hate towing a float and flag. I've seen boats run right over them and it almost seems that boats are drawn to them. I guess we're diving on something so they just need to drop bait right under the flag right?
Anyway, when I have had to tow a flag in the past it was always one of those styrofoam balls with the yellow line and plastic flat "reel". I've also used the pool noodle type. Neither seemed to tow very easy. There always seemed to be a bit of drag on them that was distracting. I would also forget to let out enough line and end up pulling them under and not really realize it because I just thought it was the drag of the float.

Anyway, I researched other options and contacted Mako about towing their spear fishing float with the dive flag on it. After talking to them I decided to try one and put it on the Christmas list. After returning the first one I received due to a stitching issue (Thanks Mako, Great Customer Service) I finally got to try this one.

I assembled and inflated the float and put a 4 lb weight on the bottom for stability. I attached a Dive Rite safety reel using cave line and safety caribeiner and went diving.

The float tows great. The only time I really felt it there was when I went through the surf. The little breakers grabbed it when they combed over. For that short distance there was some tugging. Other than the surf entry there was very little pressure. Overall it was a non issue towing the flag as it just skimmed along on top of the water instead of dragging through it. Also, there is no way you are going to drag this float under water, even accidently. My wife watched it from the beach and said it was very visible and that there was a lot of motion to the flag and float which got your attention. Hopefully I get to use it in Venice before long.

One other thing about this float is that it rolls up easy and takes up very little storage space. I did make one modification to the flag in that I attached a safety line to the grommet. If there is a weak spot that would be the possibility of the flag somehow working it's way off. Simple fix with a piece of string.

Good product. Easy to use. Great customer service.

Thanks very much for taking the time to review our product. We have several different floats. If anyone is curious, this is a link to the product being reviewed.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Professional-Inflatable-Spearfishing-Float-p/mpif3.htm

This video might also be helpful.

MPIF3-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom