Yucatan trip - looking for diving opportunities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've decided to visit Cozumel for 3 days/4 nights after touring the Yucatan. I have already been reading the Cozumel Forum.
There are many very nice lodgings that could accomodate your diving, your wife's Snorkeling and beachtime
Any specific places in mind?
Presidente looks suitable but expensive!
Other options I consider are Iberostar and Fiesta Americana.

Btw do you think it is wise to plan on leaving Cozumel on the same day as the international flight from Cancun (at 5 PM)?

A lot of people will disagree with me, but I like the Hotel Barracuda. Located on an elevated white sand beach. On site pier for dive boat pickup. A bar/restaurante on site that caters to an international crowd made up of tour ship crews. The bar gets a lot of traffic during the day (pre covid, anyways) but quiets down at night. Coffee shop next door. Supermarket across the street. Short walk into town. Some snorkeling out front. Nothing fancy, but clean and simple. Definitely not a luxury hotel.

Making your flight will be no problem as long as you leave time for ferry and bus connections. I've made noon flights without stress pre Covid.

I've decided to visit Cozumel for 3 days/4 nights after touring the Yucatan. I have already been reading the Cozumel Forum.

Any specific places in mind?
Presidente looks suitable but expensive!
Other options I consider are Iberostar and Fiesta Americana.

Btw do you think it is wise to plan on leaving Cozumel on the same day as the international flight from Cancun (at 5 PM)?

Down south, we have stayed at the Sunscape Sabor. Rooms and infrastructure are getting a bit long in the tooth but the food was pretty good at the main restaurant. Personally, I would stay in San Miguel and pass on the all inclusive option.

A 5pm flight out of CUN shouldn't be an issue. Lot of posts on the "bag drag" between the airport and CZM.

One more travel tip. There are a lot of "lavanderias" in the Yucatan. Essentially a wash and fold service. Drop off your clothes and pick them up clean and folded. We have no problems staying a week with just what fits in a carry-on. Also, nice to go home with clean cloths.

I'm going to ask again as I haven't received an answer.
Can anyone recommend a diving operation in Merida and/or share their experience as far as diving in cenotes near Merida is concerned?

You might need to start a new thread with Merida, Mexico in the title and hope it is seen by SB'ers who have actually done some diving with an op located there.

I did a quick SB search and found only a few mentions of Merida and the only real dive information was that dive sites (cenotes) are a long drive from town. That was backed up by the info I found from one of the 2 ops below - so that might be the reason you didn't get any responses.

The 2 websites, one in Spanish and not informative at all, the other in English with a little more info (good info on the cenotes), were really the only ops I found. Both of these ops have Facebook pages that are current; they also are on TripAdvisor, but they are not current (2020 and older.) You might need to email one or both of these ops to get any current information.

Yucatán Dive Center

TechDiving & Cavern Diving | Diving Yucatan ®

Hope someone else can help you out with better info.

Offhand i never have heard of any cenotes around the yucatan set up for carvan diving. There are many cenotes you can swim in but not aware of diving. Not much diving along the mainland yucatan though there are some areas far off shore like alacranes. Livea oard type locatio s

Offhand i never have heard of any cenotes around the yucatan set up for carvan diving. There are many cenotes you can swim in but not aware of diving. Not much diving along the mainland yucatan though there are some areas far off shore like alacranes. Livea oard type locatio s
This thread is past its prime, since the OP was planning to go in April, but I will respond to this.

Cavern diving is big business for the dive operators in the Yucatan. Many cenotes have cavern lines and see huge business in that market.

Especially in the Yucatan peninsula cenote diving is probably as big or bigger than ocean diving. Most between Playa de carmen and Tulum, but also around merida are many places to dive in cenotes.

Not sure, but it reads like you try to make fun of people or you somewhat ignorant.

I am referri g to state of yucatan. Cave divinf is huge in q roo but the question was about cavern diving in yucatan around merida.

Can anyone recommend a diving operation in Merida and/or share their experience as far as diving in cenotes near Merida is concerned?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom