Woman dead - Duck Island, New Hampshire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if an 'ocean cleanup' = solo dive?

Depends. Some ones I've been on that have been sponsored wanted buddy teams. The more informal ones, along the lines of a bunch of us are going diving and pick up trash, didn't care because no one was responsible for the "event".

Since they didn't mention a sponsor for the trip, it may be the latter. Even then, it would depend on whether she solo dives, some people don't.

This was a very unfortunate accident. I just started diving this area and met her once but never had a chance to dive with her.

Pure baseless unhelpful internet speculation - but I wonder if entanglement could have played a part if there was fishing line being cleaned up.

I wonder if an 'ocean cleanup' = solo dive?
Depends. Some ones I've been on that have been sponsored wanted buddy teams. The more informal ones, along the lines of a bunch of us are going diving and pick up trash, didn't care because no one was responsible for the "event".

Since they didn't mention a sponsor for the trip, it may be the latter. Even then, it would depend on whether she solo dives, some people don't.

She was out on a dive trip with a local shop but all my info is second hand.

She was out on a dive trip with a local shop but all my info is second hand.

That's the issue with A&I, we have to wait and see if anyone close to the accident shows up to give us the facts. Unfortunately, it's few and far between that we get anymore than the initial report.

Pure baseless unhelpful internet speculation - but I wonder if entanglement could have played a part if there was fishing line being cleaned up.
Entanglement played no part. This was pure negligence by Portsmouth Scuba. She was out getting her advanced certification and on her descent the instructor ran out of air and surfaced without his 2 students. The investigation was a sham. And no one was held accountable for this preventable accident.

That's the issue with A&I, we have to wait and see if anyone close to the accident shows up to give us the facts. Unfortunately, it's few and far between that we get anymore than the initial report.

This has been brushed under the carpet. Portsmouth Scuba is to blame for her death. Her instructor ran out of air as he was descending down. She was out with another student to get her advanced certification. Her instructor went out with an empty tank. And surfaced without his 2 students. Pure negligence.

I am childhood friends with this beautiful woman's step-mother. This has understandably devastated the family. As a novice diver myself, I am concerned about the "injuries" - have been unable to find anything online, they are "investigating". Do you know for certain that it was carbon monoxide? I do not want to ask the family this question, especially at this time. She left behind two young sons.
The investigation is a joke and no one is going to be held accountable for this. I am a friend of Tonya‘s. She died due to negligence. She was out getting her advanced certification and her instructor, the owner of Portsmouth Scuba, went down with an empty tank and left his 2 students.

Sadly, it does not sound like her family pursues legal action against him. For unknown reasons. As he would’ve been found guilty.

And unfortunately it sounds like he is still training new students. It’s only a matter of time before there is another accident.

Back
Top Bottom