Returning to diving after having Covid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if there is anyone who recovered from Covid and then returned to diving? How is your body taking it?

I have not, however I know two that have one a tech diver.

Both have no issues after returning.

it is important to get a good physical and pulmonary workup if you had a moderate to severe case of COVID. We have seen serious pulmonary issues linger that includes lung tissue scarring and restrictions that last for months.

Done it.

Got Covid. Typical symptoms. What most people get. Not the asympatamic not a severe case. Just a regular what most people get version. If you have severe, this isn't a valid reference point. If you have lingering issues, this isn't a valid reference point. This is for normal people with normal cases. Not those oddballs that the evening news makes all the hype about.

Had it, week and a half later was mostly over it. Got my negative test and was back at work after 2 weeks. Lingering cough for another couple of weeks. As I was getting back in the water the computer said I was dry for 36 days. Just have my usual spring allergies going on right now. I had some nasty chest cold same time last year that was worse and lingered longer. Remember that Covid is just a common cold that is extra contagious and sometimes has a severe reaction. No severe reaction or lingering issues, treat as if you got over a cold and dive accordingly.

I have just returned to diving after have covid and not even knowing I had gotten it. The way I found out was by donating blood & blood platelets and I test positive for antibodies. I was getting some shortness of breath and mild chest pain with tightness in my upper chest. I called DAN and they put me in touch with a hyperbaric Dr. in Pittsburg. After speaking with him he had told me do not get back in the water with out getting tests done that I maybe A fib. I then spoke to my Dr. (which is a diver) and he set me up with a heart Dr., all kinds of blood work, stress test and so on. Long store short all Dr's cleared me to return back to tech diving. I just returned from FL. my first two dives 34% were easy dives just to be sure I had no breathing issues. All went well. My third dive was a deco dive with a run time of 73 minutes and deco'ed out on 100% o2. with no issues. My fourth dive was at Blue Heron for an 1 hour and 47 minute dive on 35%.

Remember that Covid is just a common cold that is extra contagious and sometimes has a severe reaction. No severe reaction or lingering issues, treat as if you got over a cold and dive accordingly.

Not sure that the families of those who have died/suffered horribly or those who are longhaulers will agree with you.

Done it.

Got Covid. Typical symptoms. What most people get. Not the asympatamic not a severe case. Just a regular what most people get version. If you have severe, this isn't a valid reference point. If you have lingering issues, this isn't a valid reference point. This is for normal people with normal cases. Not those oddballs that the evening news makes all the hype about.

Had it, week and a half later was mostly over it. Got my negative test and was back at work after 2 weeks. Lingering cough for another couple of weeks. As I was getting back in the water the computer said I was dry for 36 days. Just have my usual spring allergies going on right now. I had some nasty chest cold same time last year that was worse and lingered longer. Remember that Covid is just a common cold that is extra contagious and sometimes has a severe reaction. No severe reaction or lingering issues, treat as if you got over a cold and dive accordingly.

Similar sickness & recovery stories told by the 4 divers from Denmark & 2 Americans on my last dive trip to Maldives (ended yesterday). They got it from their kids. No biggie.

Not sure that the families of those who have died/suffered horribly or those who are longhaulers will agree with you.
That's why I put the qualifier about if not being a severe case. If you look at what the virus is, it's based on a common cold. And if not a severe case, that is pretty much what you have.

Now if you watch the evening news and go looking for the severe cases, you will find people who don't have mild cases and have severe cases. Some hang onto it for a long time, some die. As I started off, my comments are not regarding the extreme cases. Just the regular run of the mill case, which is basically having a cold for a week or so. That is how most people have it. Boring, doesn't make the evening news beyond the number of new cases today at the start of every news cast.

Been there, had it. Know several others that had it. Only one died. Which is the same number of people I know who have died from the flu. And still way less than cancer or auto accidents.

It's real, it's contagious, and for a small percentage of people it is a problem. But you can try to avoid the fact that it is still based on the common cold. You will be wrong, and people dyeing still doesn't change the fact that it is based on the common cold. It just happens to be an ugly step child of it.

Now that the sidetrack has occurred, we can get back to the original post. Yes, you can probably dive after getting over it. If you die, probably not. If you are a long hauler, probably not for a long time. If you have damage, maybe not. But those are the rare and severe cases. For everyone else that just spends a couple weeks sitting around the house and gets over it, the common solution, you will be fine.

If in doubt, contact medical professionals. They will have there own opinions as well, remember they are practicing doctors, they are still learning themselves.

Similar sickness & recovery stories told by the 4 divers from Denmark & 2 Americans. They got it from their kids. No biggie.

You do understand that those who did have a severe reaction to COVID are unlikely to be on a liveaboard??? You are only talking to those that have not been seriously affected because those that have been are dead or not able to travel. Survivors bias to the extreme and why anecdotal evidence is useless in assessing risk. More than half a million Americans will not be available for you to talk to - they are dead. “No biggie” seriously??? It’s attitudes like this that will extend this pandemic and spread mutations around the world. Talk to someone working in a hospital who actually knows something before concluding “no biggie”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom