how to select new Nitrox in Teric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure they changed the gas setting functionality on the teric. There is on, off and active. Planning and TTS will consider on and active gasses. Actual NDL or deco time will be based only on the selected gas though.

So it doesn't matter if you are diving and have both 21 and 31 set to on, so long as the gas you are diving is selected. Your TTS may be off, but for NDL, it'll be based on ascent rate anyway.

Your TTS may be off, but for NDL, it'll be based on ascent rate anyway.
TTS will be off and I will get constant reminders to switch to the other gas, it happened to me, didn't like it at all, prefer quiet dive.

TTS will be off and I will get constant reminders to switch to the other gas, it happened to me, didn't like it at all, prefer quiet dive.

Once again sorry not to to sound rude but I think you are forgetting what the computer was actually designed for, and now your trying to configure it for something it was not originally intended for. Diving computer wise it is very complex computer with lots and lots of features and was designed for mixed gas decompression diving both CC/OC so no its not going to be a simple one touch computer link a Mares, Oceanic, etc.. You basically bought a top of the line Formula 1 race car of a computer but are trying to use it as a pick up the kids from soccer practice mini van. An F1 car is going to have all kind of displays, gauges, buttons, switches, etc. but if your just going to pick up the kids 5 minutes down the road of course all those features are useless and annoying but if your in a Grand Prix race then you need all those extra features and actually appreciate having them.

Please remember what the Teric was originally designed for and please know the full functions of the computer. The reason it is telling you to switch to another gas is because its designed to do that, and the reason why you have to turn gases on and off and edit them and can have 5 different gases is because its designed to do that. All these features that seem to be annoying you are things that the rest of us actually like about Shearwater platforms and that is what has made it so famous and the go to computer for most. Shearwater computers have been around for along time, way be for the Teric and they have a very famous reputation. The gas functions and features on a Shearwater have been tried and tested by thousands and a lot research, development, time and money has gone into the development of them.

To my recollection, the OC Rec within NDL does not prompt to switch gases. As I mentioned above, I have 21, 30, 31, 32, and 33% defined and "on". I just switch/activate as appropriate after analyzing, without turning the others off. It is extremely easy.

Once again sorry not to to sound rude but I think you are forgetting what the computer was actually designed for, and now your trying to configure it for something it was not originally intended for.

Please remember what the Teric was originally designed for and please know the full functions of the computer. .

For the OP.. I am a recreational diver. I can and sometimes do deco dives but they might only be say 5 mins or maybe max 10 mins of deco time. I bought my Perdix for the functions it has and also because I do plan on taking more courses TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression course and the Solo Diver course. I have friends that have done the TDI Nitrox course and others that want to and we all use Perdix or Teric. One friend likes his watch sized device so uses the Teric I do not wear a watch and prefer the Perdix. He will do the TDI Advanced Nitrox and deco course we probably will do it together.

Once you buy a Shearwater you do need to spend time learning and knowing it's full features. I do not dive CCR so have not studied that. But Gradient Factors, Surf GF, TTS, NDL, CNS, GasPO2 are all good things to understand and I like having those available on my Perdix. DECO planning on the Perdix is really nice. Great even if you are doing dives not exceeding NDL if you are diving nitrox 32% then using nitrox 40% for off gassing at shallower depths. I like the shearwater because it is not a babysitter with audio alarms beeping because you moved your arm up too fast in the water as I have heard on other people's DC's.

It's really simple to setup gasses and then switch from one to the other. Familiarity with how you device operates is key. I only setup 21% and 32% and keep the other gas settings clear for using other like Nitrox 40% but only put that in if diving that on the day as it's rare I do that.

PS I dive using OC Tec mode not OC Rec mode.

Back
Top Bottom