Fourth Element Stealth Hybrid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Graeme Fraser thanks for that mate.
I'm glad you like it, I ordered mine this morning :)
I can't get the Halo 3D out here in my size, it's discontinued. Hopefully the new Halo AR will be released before my suit comes in 12 weeks :confused:

Hey mate, how's the suit?
Mine supposed to turn up Friday, I can't wait to give it a go. I ended up getting Icebreaker merino top, pants and socks for my base layer and FE Arctic set. The coldest water I'll be in is about 13C so I'm hoping I'll be warm enough.

Hey mate, how's the suit?
Mine supposed to turn up Friday, I can't wait to give it a go. I ended up getting Icebreaker merino top, pants and socks for my base layer and FE Arctic set. The coldest water I'll be in is about 13C so I'm hoping I'll be warm enough.
Hi Mike.

Only did my second recreational dive in the FE Stealth last week, thanks to lockdown restrictions. The only other dives I've done this year have been commercial (exempt) in my trusty old O3. No way I was using my new suit for those!

My main issue on dive 1 was the general faff donning and doffing, but it felt much easier on dive 2. I'm so used to getting in and out of my tough old suit that anything else still feels alien. New suit is definitely starting to feel more natural though, but not yet fair to compare it to my previous suits.

Water temp was 6.5° and I was quite comfortable in Artics and a T shirt for about an hour. As it's my first trilam, I'm still kinda nervous about damaging it, but that's probably more paranoia than based on any facts.

Initial thoughts, very impressed with the build quality and flexibility. I'm sure I'll grow to love it, but definitely need more dives in it to give a more objective opinion.

Let me know when you're arrives..

G

Hey Graeme,
Thanks for the update.

Water temp was 6.5° and I was quite comfortable in Artics and a T shirt for about an hour.
This makes me feel better, I was worried about being too cold. It's as hard if not harder to decide on undergarments than it was the suit lol
Let me know when you're arrives..
Will do.
Saturday week will be my first chance to get in the water, looking forward to it.
Cheers

Hey Graeme,
Thanks for the update.

This makes me feel better, I was worried about being too cold. It's as hard if not harder to decide on undergarments than it was the suit lol

Will do.
Saturday week will be my first chance to get in the water, looking forward to it.
Cheers
Agreed on the thermal dilemma.

I was originally given a one piece FE Halo which, although supper warm and comfortable, was just too bulky for my tastes. I also needed a ridiculous amount of lead to sink. For the handful of annual dives I do under 5°c it just wasn't worth it.

I ended up settling on 3 layering options (J2 base, Xerothereme and Artics). My rationale is:

Bloody freezing = Xerothereme + Artic
Bloody cold = J2 + Artic
Quite cold = Artic
Average = J2 + Xerothereme
Tepid = Xerothereme
Warm = J2

As you can probably tell, I haven't necessarily taken a scientific approach to this, but like the fact that the various layers give me plenty of options. It will obviously be a work in progress as I go through the season.

G

As you can probably tell, I haven't necessarily taken a scientific approach to this, but like the fact that the various layers give me plenty of options. It will obviously be a work in progress as I go through the season.
Your logic seems sound to me, it pretty much lines up with what FE suggests here...
https://fourthelement.com/brochures/temperature-layering-guide.pdf
My plan isn't as scientific :)
Cold = Icebreakers and Arctic
Not so cold = Icebreakers

Hey everyone,

Any updates or additional experiences with the Argonaut (Flex, Hybrid, or Stealth)? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a dry suit myself.

After having some time with it, any thoughts on the options?
  • Stealth vs Flex vs Hybrid
  • Apeks vs Sitech valves
  • Sock vs Tech vs Rock boot
Would you buy the same suit again? Different config? Different brand altogether?

• Apeks vs Sitech valves
Would you buy the same suit again? Different config? Different brand altogether?
I have the Stealth with Sitech valves and socks, you wear rock boots with the socks so they can't vs each other.
I can't comment on the other options because I can't compare mine to what I haven't got, but I'm happy with the quality and fit and the options I chose.
Good luck with making all the decisions that are right for you, I think you'll be happy with whatever you decide.

Hey everyone,

Any updates or additional experiences with the Argonaut (Flex, Hybrid, or Stealth)? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a dry suit myself.

• Apeks vs Sitech valves
Rock boots rock. Would never buy integrated boots (many reasons: can turn the suit inside out; dirt and gravel says on the boots and go in a separate bag; comfort; fit; replace boots; flexibility; no air migration).

Valves: both work. Apeks are neater. Sitech work well too.

I'd go for a made-to-measure suit from a local artisan who will repair the suit WHEN it breaks — holes happen. They’d also fit Kubi gloves which work very well and are trivial to change the gloves. Artisans are often cheaper than brands.

Don’t forget the pee valve.

Consider a Santi suit too.

@Wibble @Mike1967

My bad, I got the terminology wrong. Their choices are standard boot (not rock boot), tech boot, sock. You are right, a rock boot is only an option with the sock.

It sounds like this wouldn't make a difference as you would both recommend going with a sock and rock boot.

The only rock boots I've tried was during my dry suit course. They were DUIs and might as well have been hiking boots. I didn't enjoy the weight and heft and the extra large fins I had to use with them. However, I'm sure there are slimmer profiles I can look at.

Appreciate the feedback and welcome other Argonaut experiences/recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom