Which Operators Are Doing Phuket Daytrips During The Pandemic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you been to Thailand since the start of Covid...in tourist areas like Phuket, Samui, and Pattaya, 80-90 percent of businesses are closed.
No, Phuket is not 80-90 percent closed. That may be true of some of the tourist places like Kata, Karon and Patong, but even there less in my guestimate, but in other places like Kamala, Rawai, nearly all is open.

Yes

Yes...those juvenile Sweetlips doing their swirling Dervish act are a real hoot. Some DMs at Seabees were telling me the Kata shore dive can be pretty good at high tide...with eels and stingrays too. And a few days ago, a group out snorkeling around sunset happened upon a whale shark just offshore.

Jakapan Aek Thongnak
Doesn't have to be high tide, tides really don't have much effect on diving at Kata Beach.

Can you elaborate...I'm a bit confused by your posts in this thread. I take it you have some affiliation with a dive shop in Kata Beach you linked to earlier. Are you saying this shop offer a more personalized dive experience than Seabees/Mandarin or cheaper or what? I'm not looking for a comparison really but what do you mean when saying they offer a "completely different setup"?
In the beginning of the thread you asked for recommendations, I told you how you could get a very good experience. After that you posted you have been diving for a few weekends already, and judging from your posts have a wide experience. So thanks, but I'm not offering my advice to you anymore. I will say though I would not send a single customer on Mandarin Queen without sending a guide from us along.

No, Phuket is not 80-90 percent closed. That may be true of some of the tourist places like Kata, Karon and Patong, but even there less in my guestimate, but in other places like Kamala, Rawai, nearly all is open.
Said from someone who sez he isn't here. All of western Phuket is 80-90 percent closed. Chalong and Rawai are at least 50-60 percent closed (and many of the businesses still open have "For Sale" signs up. The only place I haven't been to yet is Phuket Town proper...which may be a little more open as it isn't a tourist center and caters primarily to the resident Thai population and to a lesser extent local expatriates.

In the beginning of the thread you asked for recommendations, I told you how you could get a very good experience.
By diving with your shop...no bias there And I asked what shops/boats were going out...not for specific recommendations. I already know many of the shops/boats so only wanted to know who was still in business. But I get it...times are tough so of course you're going to toot your own horn.

As for your advice, that sounds peachy to me...it's worth what I paid for it.

... The only place I haven't been to yet is Phuket Town proper...which may be a little more open as it isn't a tourist center and caters primarily to the resident Thai population and to a lesser extent local expatriates.
You should if you have few days to spare or before catching your flight to anywhere.
I wonder if the Yellow Airport Bus is still operating?
Any news on Koh Lanta?

You should if you have few days to spare or before catching your flight to anywhere.
I wonder if the Yellow Airport Bus is still operating?
Any news on Koh Lanta?
My trip is open ended...I live in Thailand and am retired. My plan is to stay in Phuket for 2-3 months (maybe more). Accommodation is ridiculously cheap right now due to the pandemic and lack of international tourists. I did see an "Airport Bus" today going up the road but I recall it being red in color...so something seems to be running.

I just received in my FB feed an item that Alona Divers is doing a 3 nite "liveaboard" trip to the Phi-Phi islands early next month. It's a couple days at Phi-Phi and staying at an island resort 2 nites and then scooting down to Ko Lanta for a day of dives and a nite spent on the island. A total of 9 dives for about B18k. I'm considering it but the price seems a bit high and their boat doesn't look, the most comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom