Kevlar Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddavin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
II am headed to the Galapagos in May and everyone recommends taking kevlar gloves...now to find a pair that fits a smaller hand. Any recommendations? I have a pair of "bug gloves", but the fingers are so bulky!!

I wonder if you could find them at a restaurant supply store? If yes, I'll bet they'd be a fraction of the price you'd find at a dive related store! Good luck!

I have very small hands and I find that Scubapro gloves fit really well, and they have/are kevlar reinforced.

I once used to have awesome extra-small Genesis kevlar gloves, but I don't think they've even made gloves in many years.

II am headed to the Galapagos in May..
I've been to Galapagos and you are 100% CORRECT, that most gloves won't even last 3 days in the swirling currents and underwater back & forth swells gripping rocks to hang on. The gloves that all of us took on the trip are Hexamor 9016. The three key features of this glove we love are:
* Indestructable palm and finger tips made of NEEDLE proof superfabric kevlar. (these are actually hospital waste gloves)
* The palm coating is not slippery nor knitted. It's nitrile so it has the perfect amount of 'grippy-ness' for camera buttons
* The price is just $19 and after you get home, you'll swear you would have paid double for them, no problem.
- Only bad thing is zero insulation if that matters to you.

I get about 250 dives and then the coating starts to wear thin and I change them out cause they are so cheap. I've never worn a hole in the finger tips nor been able to rip them. The knitted fabric kevlar type finger tips, I can't use to press my tiny camera button adjustments and turn the ISO wheelie thing on my housing.

To break them in and loosen them up......{don't laugh}...Take 2 showers with them in the morning well before your trip. Then take a red hot common nail and burn/melt a hole where the inside of your wrist is on the glove. Use this to attach to a double ender clip on your BCD 'D' ring and you'll never lose them on the boat.

HexAmor's almost exact PDF sizing chart is here:
https://cdn.hexarmor.com/pdf/78cca40c-b4e3-4e02-b7c6-3a548a9b8e82.pdf

Make sure they are #9016. They are sold all over the internet, but I get mine from Safety Company cause they ship the same day so you'll have them in plenty of time.
HexArmor 9016 9000 Series L5 Cut and Abrasion Resistant Gloves

I'm diving Jupiter again tomorrow reaching in rocks to go lobster hunting. These gloves in this picture below are on my rig and have about 125 dives on them. You can probably tell, but we all love these gloves down here. You're gonna love Galapagos, write up a trip report and post it here !!

KnifeOnInflator.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, Johnoly! We ordered 2 pair! Will keep them in the dive bag for lobster season in Florida!

Not sure if you are diving wet or dry but Showa 660's are kevlar gloves and are one of the most commonly used dry gloves.

Globus Group

Just wanted to add that Cut Gloves are the best! I have the hammerhead ones, but you could totally go to a restaurant supply store and use those.
I put my open palm on a sea urchin on a night dive in Hawaii. (dumb mistake I know) But I was totally fine! Thank goodness, that would have been an awful injury to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom