Maui Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just was certified at Maui Divers just last week! I had asked around a lot on travel forums for advice before we booked our classes. I think dives are currently limited to 5 or 6 people at the moment. After our certification dives (airport beach, which also had hawksbill turtles and squid on just our learning dives!) we signed up for the Mala Plus dive two days later. We had a instructor/guide who was photographing and a divemaster for our group. They were knowledgable of the area and answered all our questions and were great at spotting sealife for us and took so many pics, so we got to see lots of life we did see on the dive in the photo package we purchased at the end. Mala pier is a turtle cleaning station and was amazing. We also saw a shark and octopus on this dive. You do have to walk over a decent amount of rocks to get the the spot, but it was worth it for us. I cant speak from much experience, I felt like the gear was good, light and easy to use, but someone with more experience could comment on that better. You do have to bring your own snack and water, but for the price I found that to be no problem at all as theres plenty of time on the surface interval to hydrate and snack. We really felt well taken care of and safe for being new divers. plus theres a great taco truck right out front and a really good brewery (Kohola brewery) right behind them!

The Manta dive is on the Big Island in Kona, and the videos are amazing. I've seen some huge mantas on the Lahaina side of Maui, but they're rare in my experience.

BTW, as dumb as this sounds, there have been alot of shark attacks in Maui over the last 10 years. Not on divers, but those acting like bait - swimmers, snorkelers, etc. I avoided swimming in the ocean in South Maui.
There's some very good shore diving down there though!

To the OP, I'd suggest joining the Maui Mantas FB group here: Facebook Groups.

I dove with Steve Eddy, (Maui Dive Connection) in Lahaina when we on Maui, in April 2019. His scooter dives are awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom