Swivel types... which to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rkelleyj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Curious what people’s experiences are with the different types of swivels and their applications for a 2nd stage primary.

Which type do you use and why? Aftermarket brands or OEM?

I own the Atomic B2 and the comfort swivel works quite nicely, in fact I would put one on any reg if it was compatible.

I also have aftermarket Omni-directional 360 on my Apex, it’s I would say decent at increasing comfort and reducing fatigue.

Attachments

• 42A43E99-1327-4966-908D-BCC2DAAFE895.jpeg
    42A43E99-1327-4966-908D-BCC2DAAFE895.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 117
I had the CaveAdventures ball swivel but recently shifted to a simple 90 degree one, from Piranha. I found the ball swivel was rarely at the angle I wanted it to be so it did not sit around my neck where I wanted it.

The 90 degree one is predictably where I want it and at an angle that makes sense. I just ordered a 110-degree swivel to try that as well, as the 90-degree might press the hose more on my neck than desired.

ETA: for necklaces reg in side or backmount.

I use 2 swivels from Piranha. I'd like to try a 110 or 90 to remove a possible failure point.

I ditched swivels and went to flex lines (I am cheap and went with DGX but Miflex are just as good). This allowed for greater flexibility and no side load on my regulator. There have been reported age issues with the flex hoses but I figure 5 years or 500 dives (which ever comes later) as a replacement is worth it. I rarely have someone near enough to me to make a difference and the failure point potential of the swivels is more than, my reckless self, is willing to tolerate

Quick look and seems Atomic has a universal swivel now. Thinking of giving that a shot

Attachments

• 29A219AC-E6F8-4B87-B6C9-2F0F3ABA453D.jpeg
    29A219AC-E6F8-4B87-B6C9-2F0F3ABA453D.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 116
I run DGX 70° elbows on my short hoses. I quite like them. The 110° is identical from what I see.

I run DGX 70° elbows on my short hoses. I quite like them. The 110° is identical from what I see.
Piranha actually calls them the 20-degree elbow. Which makes no sense, unless it is 20 degrees off 90 degrees.

They call the other the 90-degree elbow.

I use 90s on both SM regs (regs set up as left/right). I don’t like hoses behind my neck.

I use the omniswivels. I had a couple of the aftermarket ones come apart after about a year. I could probably fix it with a service kit and some Loctite, but the omniswivels have a little set screw that should at least help with the things coming apart. Gives me just a bit more confidence.

I used some 90s and 120s with my hose under arm. I found that with hoses routed under my arm there was enough friction to tug as I moved my head, so I run a short flex hose over my shoulder. A ball swivel should be tight enough that once you position it to your liking it should maintain that thru the dive.

Omni on my longer hose. I also have the 90 and the 70 ° but rarely use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom