What are your favorite easy wreck dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishWatcher747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So first year diver, have done the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo twice and will do it a few more times in the next month. Dive with a slung 19 but could easily adapt to slinging a 40 without investing in a sidemount configuration.

The 3 deaths on the Vandenburg since August is giving me a little pause.

I looked at the Oriskany off Pensacola Fl, but it is 20 miles offshore and doesn't seem worth it if you're not diving doubles. That is a long day for a 30 minute dive on a single tank.

Planning to go to Bonaire when traveling eventually opens up so there is the Hilma Hooker.

Looking for other interesting wreck dives not harder than the Spiegel Grove.

Plan to eventually mostly do Caribbean destinations.

I've been on several, mostly on the FL panhandle out of Destin & Pensacola, a couple out of P.C. Beach. Most there are maybe 60-100' deep barges or wrecks that have been there a while in not in great shape (ie, not recently sunk "artificial reefs"). Got some great shells on and around them. One out of Destin was the old bridge rubble-- from the old Destin Bridge that they replaced decades ago. That was cool-- diving on something as a new diver age 52 (2006) that I drove on in 1972 age 18.

You should have put warm water/tropical or something like that in the thread title! Plenty of easy wrecks on the Great Lakes. Water’s not warm, though. :D

The St. Lawrence River is awesome and home to tons of wrecks for a beginner. If you go at the right time of the year the water is 70F. I don't know if that's warm enough.. it's not "Carribean" diving, but it's pretty special in it's own right.

We dove out of Brockville, I'll definitely go back.

I tried Pompano Beach FL but got blown out. They said lots of wrecks and very close to shore (10-15 min boat ride).

Kittiwake in Grand Cayman is easy, shallow and near the shore - could be done as a shore dive in fact.

Lots of easy wrecks off Ft. Lauderdale up to Pompano Beach. Hog Heaven, Sea Emperor, Ancient Mariner, Jay Scutti, and Tracy plus others. They’ve been down awhile so lots of life on them.

Force-E Scuba Centers - South Florida Dive Sites

Wreck Diving Sites - South Florida Diving Headquarters

South Florida Wrecks | Sea Experience 954-770-3483

EDIT: Added a few more useful links to sites with info on these wrecks. You'll see there are others as well perfect for Open Water Divers. Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach) really is a great destination for an open water diver wanting to dive wrecks and reefs, gain some experience while also having nice beaches, hotels/condos, restaurants, and bars to enjoy! You also have a large airport with tons of flight options and rental cars in Ft. Lauderdale. You also have shore diving in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea if you wish to give that a try.

Lots of easy wrecks off Ft. Lauderdale up to Pompano Beach. Hog Heaven, Sea Emperor, Ancient Mariner, Jay Scutti, and Tracy plus others. They’ve been down awhile so lots of life on them.

Force-E Scuba Centers - South Florida Dive Sites
Interesting. Some of these have depth range of 70' but say open water.

How far are these from shore? How long is the boat ride?

@KatieMac, 70' in warm, clear water isn't a difficult dive for most OW divers who have a few dives under their belt. The wrecks @JimBlay mentioned are about a 10 minute boat ride from the inlet. It's super easy to do a two tank morning dive and be back for a late lunch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom