Visiting Kauai for several month and looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reinnes13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!

My wife and I are looking at visiting Kauai for several months once vaccinations are widespread. It'd be great to get any advice on the diving scene - I dive and she doesn't. Certainly would love to hit Niihau while I'm there but would also like to know about any other "must dive" sites. Also was wondering about shore diving and how easy it'd be to meet buddies for diving Koloa's landing. I'm AOW/rescue diver and may look at getting my divemaster before we go.

We are hoping to bring our dog, so any recommendations on finding dog-friendly accomodations for 2-3 months would be useful. We are keeping an eye on AirBnB, VRBO, and Craiglist but not sure if there are any other recommendations.

Thanks and much appreciated!
-A

Aloha!
As of April 5 Kauai will be back on the safe travel program, so just a negative test within 72 hours will get you here without quarantining. As for dive sites, there's plenty. Dive shops usually have a list on their site. Niihau and Mana Crack are 2 huge favorites. There aren't many easy accessible shore dive sites. Koloa Landing is the main one and a great one at that if the viz is good. Tunnels Beach is another but can only do in the summer due to north swell.

As for dog friendly, you have to do all animal quarantine thing to bring any animals into the state, it can be a hassle but if done correctly, it's not so bad. Feel free to shoot me a DM, I can go into all kinds of details for diving and bringing dogs here.

-Nick

Aloha from the island!

It's great to hear that you are looking at visiting our beautiful island. While reopening is set to happen in early April we are certainly a long way from normalcy on the isle. I hope you will continue to check in here on the board to get updates and see what is happening. As you have specific questions I'd love to help you out however I can. I've been living and diving extensively on Kauai for 20 years now. I can give you in depth information on dive sites and companies to help you find the best options to best meet your needs and desires. As on the other islands the companies here are wonderful and I think you have numerous opportunities for fantastic experiences. At the same time, some companies offer slightly different tours depending on your preferences. For example, some of the companies put emphasis a little more on ecology and education - while others may not have as extensive marine life briefings. As you would expect - some companies have very large boats with more amenities - while other may be a little more bare bones, but offer personalized small groups. Again, if you are familiar with sending a personal message on the board I can directly answer any questions that you may have (it doesn't have to be restricted to diving either).

You will potentially be best to rent/stay on the south shore (or close to it) as all of the boat operations are on the southern end of the island. Poipu has 3 different options for scuba boats doing morning, afternoon and night dives. Headed west Port Allen has 2 options, and even further to the west Kekaha has one as well. The drive times don't change dramatically, but certain tours are potentially better out of specific harbors.

As of yesterday.... Sadly we have had MAJOR flooding on the island that may impact the boat diving for weeks and our primary shore site (Koloa Landing) for months. This may not impact you as your visit may be further in the future but it is something to be aware of and keep in tough with. Koloa is essentially the only year round shore dive on the island. Only one other shore dive is done commercially and that is Tunnels on the north shore. Tunnels is done in the spring and summer with some regularity.

You should be able to find buddies for your diving at Koloa Landing and I can give you info on a couple Facebook groups that you can find buddies. Via PM I'd be happy to give you some contacts as well that are always looking for buddies to spend ocean time with.

Well, that's a good general clip of info, huh? As I mentioned - if I can help you out with anything just send me a message and I'll do my best to provide you with whatever info I can. I've been doing this on the board for many years and love helping people plan an amazing dive / island experience. You are also more than welcome to email me @CaptTony2003@hotmail.com. Aloha and Mahalo

Have a safe and wonderful weekend.
A

Back
Top Bottom