Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are all here to give our OWN opinion not others.
There is a huge difference between need and want!
Bluetooth has absolutely no use in diving alone.
I’m pretty clear on the difference between need and want. And I never argued that you need a computer with more features. I’ve simply stated that other divers may WANT other features. And I’ll reiterate, that doesn’t mean that SW is the only, or most popular choice. Different divers value different things.

I do need a dive computer for diving because it is required by law in Philippines(my favourite). Table is too troublesome for multi dives per day. A good quality water proved timing device is more or less costing the same as a cheapo dc.
I was diving in Queensland on a LoB and the boat policy was 18m for anyone who was NOT using computer!!
I can give you more examples why I NEED a simple dc.
Apart from the legal requirement you mentioned the rest are wants. Don’t want to be limited to 18M? Find another operator who doesn’t have that policy. Maybe there is one, maybe not.

There are always suckers who are happily paying over the odd for anything imaginable including dive computer.
I see, so they are suckers because they value different features than you do. I don’t recall that you paid for my Perdix. If you did pay for my Perdix, then you have a say in what is an important feature and what is not. Since I paid for it with money that I earned my opinion on those features is really all that matters. I did a lot of research and decided that it was the best option for me. Is it overkill? Probably, but I don’t regret my purchase one bit.

I guess that makes me a sucker.

Diving with a 23 yrs old Uwatec and it has everything that I need for recreational diving. Shearwater does not offer any extra that my ancient could not provide.

Which model Uwatec is it?

thats pretty much it. Never even heard of Shearwater prior to doing my research but I’m glad you helpful people on here introduced me to that.

Personally I wouldn't buy either of the computers on offer simply because I don't want a watch-sized computer. That said, D4i is more shiny! and AFAIK needs a $100 uplink cradle if you want to download your dive log.

It’s an interesting phenomenon how people get so weird about the price of a very capable dive computer with an excellent very readable screen, even for old eyes, claiming anything over $100 is totally nuts, yet have no problem paying 3k for a bag to sometimes stay dry, 1k for a regulator using decades old technology and walk in a store and plunk down a few hundred bucks for someone else to switch out some plastic parts every year or two, pay a few hundred for fins but oh my I don’t need a good reliable device telling me a bunch of handy information.

As my late Australian uncle was fond of saying, "there is one born every minute".

It’s an interesting phenomenon how people get so weird about the price of a very capable dive computer with an excellent very readable screen, even for old eyes, claiming anything over $100 is totally nuts, yet have no problem paying 3k for a bag to sometimes stay dry, 1k for a regulator using decades old technology and walk in a store and plunk down a few hundred bucks for someone else to switch out some plastic parts every year or two, pay a few hundred for fins but oh my I don’t need a good reliable device telling me a bunch of handy information.

I don't understand it either but I think maybe it has to do with age.
When I was in my 20s and 30s all I needed was a regulator that put out air and my Speargun and that was it. I had a working pressure gauge, and a sometimes working compass. My fins and a mask were so bad that I could not give them away. Can't tell you how many close calls I had because back then half of them were not even considered close calls in my mind. With age I now realize just how close I came to dying.

And people who deny better technology
Do you honestly believe all those latest dive computers would provide any more essential information necessary to execute a safe recreational dive than those produced yrs ago? It is just a tool, won't make your dive any safer. ditto to BP/W.
What information do you need for diving only?
Technology makes eg. modern cars a lot safer, YES. Tiger Wood would probably not survive if that accident happened 20 yrs ago.

You can play around with all those GF factors or whatnot but NO manufacturer would dare to come out and claimed that its own product is absolutely safe! NOT even Shearwater.

Do you honestly believe all those latest dive computers would provide any more essential information necessary to execute a safe recreational dive than those produced yrs ago? It is just a tool, won't make your dive any safer. ditto to BP/W.
What information do you need for diving only?
Technology makes eg. modern cars a lot safer, YES. Tiger Wood would probably not survive if that accident happened 20 yrs ago.

You can play around with all those GF factors or whatnot but NO manufacturer would dare to come out and claimed that its own product is absolutely safe! NOT even Shearwater.
The older units track your degassing between dives?
Also just the fact that they have a bigger simpler easy to read display and an intuitive system makes it safer for divers. I am not saying an experienced diver needs that but overall it does make diving safer for the average Rec Diver. Lastly the technology is just better. You typically don't have the issues that you had with previous older models. If what I am reading is right the Uwatec Pro had serious battery life indicator problems? At 40% the unit would just shutdown because it was actually dead? Fixes to issue like that make newer systems much safer or at the very least eliminate problems that could mess up your dive.

Back
Top Bottom