Aqualung reg problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I realized that I had a couple of the removed parts so I went an found the most recent damaged diaphragm. The tears appear to me more like holes and seem somewhat symmetrical. I am stretching the material somewhat so they are more visible. They are very tiny, and cannot be seen if material is not stretched.

Attachments

• Diaphragm.jpg
    Diaphragm.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 105
Having done that myself (and then kicked myself) in the past, those look very much like extensions (from your stretching) of mechanical damage marks.
Wild thought... is the distance between those two marks the same as the distance between the tips of the lever? Did the diaphragm get pulled over the lever end during a past disassembly?

Interesting question. I don't know the lever distance but I suppose can pull a reg apart and look or if you know I can measure the diaphragm and let you know the distance between holes.

The first time I serviced a legend, I tore through the diaphragm with the lever because I thought it would disassemble the same way a g250 would. Not my proudest moment, but you live and learn I guess.

This looks like someone disassembling the reg in a wrong manner, it's exactly the spot where a lever puncture would occur.

I was on a liveaboard years ago and the crew were rising off regulators and camera's in a big tub of water. What we didn't know was, while divers were down the crew just filled the tube with salt water. If the regulators are not rinsed well in fresh water, the diaphragms can stick to the housing. If the tech simply pinches and grabs the diaphragm and pulls it out, that may be what's causing the tears, right around the lever plate where it can't stretch any further. A high performance regulator deserves better and so do you. It's not the regulator. .

Regardless of brand or model these things happen. Diaphragms can tear or get holes for many reasons including technician error. Balance chambers can develop scuffs or scratches over time. These are cheap replacement parts and well worth replacing as these are solid regs you can dive for years to come!

Okay. It sounds to me like it could be heat while baking on a boat deck and/or problems with the shop. I will follow RSingler's advice on an across-the-board replacement of the parts in question and I think I will find someone new to service the regs, just in case.

I will also start protecting the regs from heat while on the boats.
Remove the cover of the 2nd stage after the dive or at home and rinse it thoroughly. As long as you do not press the lever down no water(fresh) will get into the 1st stage. Better is to do it under pressure though but then you will need a scuba tank.
I always do that after the final dive of the trip usually back to my hotel/resort room and dried it before packing. I would do that again back home if I have doubt about the quality of fresh water provided in the resort.

How are you storing your regs between dives? In a garage exposes it to heat, exhaust and gas fumes. Any exposure to high heat (inside a car or out in sun)?

If not, I'll agree with the above regarding heavy handed service techs which is a reason why some of us have learned to do our own servicing.

Thanks again for the suggestions, you guys are really helping me out. In case it adds anything, the two holes in the diaphragm are about 12-13 mm apart.

After a dive trip, regs are thoroughly soaked at home in warm water for several hours while pressurized flush out the second stages with running water. They then dry overnight and then stored in a bin in a basement. The house and basement are climate controlled regs are stored where temp is slightly cool and pretty consistent, and I live in a dry climate. This has pretty much been the standard for 10-15 years and no problems have occurred previously. Based on the comments I have received,I think there are two likely issues

1. Have been diving quite a bit over the past few years with a particular operator who I think is not providing sufficient opportunity for me to rinse/soak regs daily, and also not taking care of gear after I am off the boat. Basically, when on that island, the routine is set up gear, head to reef and dive. SI of around 60 minutes, with gear sitting in sun and no ability to rinse or soak. Second dive and then about 45-60 minutes back to pier with gear sitting in sun. Get off boat, leaving reg on boat with dive op supposedly rinsing regs at some point. Increasingly, I don’t think that is happening. Repeat daily for several days, and then reg gets a brief soak or rinse before getting packed and not unpacked for 24-72 hours, usually.

2. The LDS that services our regs has a new tech they brought on about two years ago. I have no idea about his experience, skills or attitude.

I think I will use a different op on that island and I maystart taking a collapsible water bottle on boats that don’t offer an ability to rinse regs between and after dives. Then I can at least try to flush out the primary and octo before the salt water dries. I will also stop leaving my regs on the boats overnight even though I hate being “that guy.” Since I am always carrying a huge dive camera setup to and from the boat, dragging regs back and forth also is going to be a hassle.

If I can find someone that will sell me diaphragms, I will start packing a couple of spares. I also think I need to find a new place to take or send regs for service. Suggestions welcomed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom