CDC adds Curacao to Level 4: Covid-19 very high. . . Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wish I understood the working of the greater minds at the CDC. According to the release, Curacao has recorded 130 new cases of Covid-19 in the last 30 days. That is 4.3 new cases/day.

Some simple back of the envelope math: approx. population of Curacao 164,000
4.3/164,000 = 0.0026%

Applying this to my home state of Oregon, approx population = 4,218,000
0.0026% * 4,218,000 = 108 cases/day. The current rate is a little more than twice that

If our state's daily infection rate ever hit that number, they would be doing handsprings. So what am I missing?

I wish I understood the working of the greater minds at the CDC. According to the release, Curacao has recorded 130 new cases of Covid-19 in the last 30 days. That is 4.3 new cases/day.

Some simple back of the envelope math: approx. population of Curacao 164,000
4.3/164,000 = 0.0026%

Applying this to my home state of Oregon, approx population = 4,218,000
0.0026% * 4,218,000 = 108 cases/day. The current rate is a little more than twice that

If our state's daily infection rate ever hit that number, they would be doing handsprings. So what am I missing?

Perhaps it's not community spread? How's the hospital and Healthcare service on the island?

Did they say which variant is spreading?

@JohnN Need more information; where were the cases? Travellers or locals or people in transit?
I know one couple who just returned from Bonaire via Curacao.

Be safe. The pandemic is far from over.

Ohhhhh, this is such BS:rant:!!! We have had more or less 65ish active cases per day for weeks now. We have one case of the British variant. We're living in a bubble here! (No pun intended)

Now is a perfect time to come! The island is empty and so are the dive sites. Soooo frustrating. Mind you, we're having fantastic diving with less divers here. It seems like all the fish have come out to play.

I've changed my mind, you can all stay away.:happywave:

According to the CDC, criteria for level 4 regardless of population is more than 100 cases in the last 28 days (cumulative new cases over past 28 days). There are different criteria for levels 1-3 based on population but level 4 is the same. Percentages mean nothing.

CDC raises a destination’s THN level when the incidence rate or case count meets the THN threshold for a higher level for 14 consecutive days. The THN level may be raised sooner than 14 days if there is a large increase in COVID-19 cases reported.

Source: How CDC Determines the Level for COVID-19 Travel Health Notices
CDC:
upload_2021-3-3_13-25-9.png

Perhaps it's not community spread?
CDC does not count identified imported cases (i.e., cases in travelers who were exposed in another country) against a destination’s total.

Ohhhhh, this is such BS:rant:!!! We have had more or less 65ish active cases per day for weeks now. We have one case of the British variant. We're living in a bubble here! (No pun intended)

Now is a perfect time to come! The island is empty and so are the dive sites. Soooo frustrating. Mind you, we're having fantastic diving with less divers here. It seems like all the fish have come out to play.

I've changed my mind, you can all stay away.:happywave:
We have booked February for a month. Long ways away. But it will be our third trip!!

Hear from whom? Naturally, resort and dive shop owners and personnel would like to avoid bad publicity.
Sorry the original should have said "Hear about the bad things" edited original for clarity.

Frequent flyers coming back from Xth trip are alot less likely to post positive stuff than the one person who had a bad experience is to post negative stuff.

I have little concern with covid once I am on the island. We stay and dive in Lagun-Westpunt which is remote and easy to be away from crowds and people. I am concerned about being able to get a covid test with timely results 72 hours before departing CUR and would be interested in hearing about others experience with this. I do see 3 labs listed and one with testing in Barber. My biggest concern though is with going through an airport in NYC and going through the customs and immigration there. Usually thousands of people and packed together in C&I. Having spent the last year isolated from people with any interactions usually 6 or less, going through a big city airport with 1000s of people will be something I will have to get my head around.

I have little concern with covid once I am on the island. We stay and dive in Lagun-Westpunt which is remote and easy to be away from crowds and people. I am concerned about being able to get a covid test with timely results 72 hours before departing CUR and would be interested in hearing about others experience with this. I do see 3 labs listed and one with testing in Barber. My biggest concern though is with going through an airport in NYC and going through the customs and immigration there. Usually thousands of people and packed together in C&I. Having spent the last year isolated from people with any interactions usually 6 or less, going through a big city airport with 1000s of people will be something I will have to get my head around.
As it stands right now with very few visitors people I know who have travelled are getting their results between 8 and 24 hours. Palu Blanku would be the closest test site to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom