Sea&Sea YS-01 Solis: Snoot options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any suggestions for snoot options for a YS-01 Solis? TIA!

I'm not sure a good option exists. YS-01 has an offset modeling light, so aiming a snoot is going to be excruciatingly frustrating. The Sea & Sea snoot for YS-D3 has a prism that corrects for it, but they don't make one for YS-01. You can use a laser pointer as an aiming device, but this won't give you a preview of the snoot's coverage, and, unless equipped with an auto-shutoff, can show up in actual photos. If you're looking to snoot, consider upgrading to a strobe with a center-mounted modeling light (Retra, DS-161) or a Backscatter Mini-Flash + Snoot package.

Thanks for your thoughts! Of course it's all about the $$$. :)

Another thing is - snoots eat light, lots of it. I have a Retra Pro, which puts out a lot more power than a YS-01, but when I mount a Retra LSD on it, I have to crank the strobe power up to full in order to shoot f/22 ISO 100.

The Kraken is interesting but is an LED light, not very bright compared to a strobe. I would go down to the local hardware store and get some plastic bits and make my own. There is a ReefNet snoot for the older YS-01 that Backscatter sells. I second the comment about the backscatter mini strobe with snoot, it is awesome
Bill

Yes bvanant I was thinking about just doing that. Question about the backscatter, is it easy to take off the strobe part under water and just use it as a second strobe? I usually dive with two strobes so I'm hoping not to be stuck with only snooting. Thanks!

The snoot is easy to put on and take off underwater. Very simple. Attach the snoot to your housing with a clip and put it on when you want to snoot.

I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but I have an onderwaterhuis snoot. I bought this for my older YS-01, but still works with my new YS-01 solis.

It works really well, although can be a bit fiddly and is also quite large. Lots of UW friends were telling me it is actually very easy to create your own cheap snoot for these strobes (think water bottle + black tape!) however, I wanted the functionality of being able to remove the snoot. In practical usage, underwater - flipping the snoot back wasn't great as it would just float back in front of the strobe, so I ended up just shooting with my non-snooted second strobe for items that I didn't want to snoot.

Snoots - Flitsers & lampen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom