Should a Dive Op charge you for rental gear in the case of your own gear failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add a bit more and to add some clarity, if you had been diving their rental gear from the start, I'd expect to be comped the substitution. If I missed out on a dive because of their equipment, the story changes significantly...

Since the question has been answered, I’m going to ask what reg failed and have you had it repaired yet? Can you let us know what happened once you have it repaired?

I had a similar issue happen to me half way through the week on a LOB. One the first dive of the day, my computer failed within a couple minutes of hitting the water. I signaled to my buddy that I was OK but my computer failed and I was aborting the dive & they should pair up with someone else. I headed to the boat and did my safety stop. I get back on the boat & explain what happened. They told me not to worry and they would look after it as soon as the divers were out of the water. That seemed reasonable to me. By the time we were gearing up for the next dive, they had one of their rental units mounted on my 1st stage. (This new computer would not have any record of my residual N2, but that should have been minimal since I had been out of the water since about 4pm the night before so I had been off-gassing for about 16 hours.)

The crew did not charge me for rental for the remaining 4 days on the boat that I used their computer, but they did get a very generous tip at the end of the week. Without them, my diving could have been over a few days into the trip.

I now carry a backup computer.

Since the question has been answered, I’m going to ask what reg failed and have you had it repaired yet? Can you let us know what happened once you have it repaired?

It was the first stage- the hole in the top that I think is the overexpansion valve was popping for the prior dives but reset after I turned off the pressure but the last time the gas kept hissing out at high pressure.

I'll drop it off at a local regulator technician when I get the chance, I have more backup 1st stages and already swapped out the hoses so it's not an issue at the moment.

I had a backup 1st stage on the boat and everyone waited while I swapped hoses but when I turned on the pressure my 2nd stage was freeflowing heavily and I couldn't stop it so that regulator is going to the tech as well to check out the IP.

It was the first stage- the hole in the top that I think is the overexpansion valve was popping for the prior dives but reset after I turned off the pressure but the last time the gas kept hissing out at high pressure.

I'll drop it off at a local regulator technician when I get the chance, I have more backup 1st stages and already swapped out the hoses so it's not an issue at the moment.

I had a backup 1st stage on the boat and everyone waited while I swapped hoses but when I turned on the pressure my 2nd stage was freeflowing heavily and I couldn't stop it so that regulator is going to the tech as well to check out the IP.
What brand and model?

I would agree it is good customer relations to not charge, but well within their right to do so. It is something one would never think to ask the shop/op about-- well I guess until it happens to you.

You use it, you pay the rental...

Yup, I agree.

I haven't tested this but one of my locals said if I drop mine off for service I could BORROW a rental while waiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom