Boat Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that reminds me...drysuit divers who leave their big bags all over the deck, not putting them in the cabin until time to get suited up. And yes, my drysuit stuff goes in the cabin. Get your gear set up THEN pull out the drysuit stuff. At least that’s how it’s done here on the Great Lakes, especially in the summer when you’d cook if you got into your drysuit too early.

Yup. I almost always am wearing my drysuit onto the boat. Drysuit bag stays in the truck. At most, the suit gets peeled down to my waist for a cool off, but I otherwise wear it for the full diving day, and doff it once I get back to port and am reloading the gear into the truck. All part of keeping my gear in the smallest footprint possible.

great post
thumbs up for #9. thumbs down on #23. oops i think i just broke rule #9. :)

Yup. I almost always am wearing my drysuit onto the boat. Drysuit bag stays in the truck. At most, the suit gets peeled down to my waist for a cool off, but I otherwise wear it for the full diving day, and doff it once I get back to port and am reloading the gear into the truck. All part of keeping my gear in the smallest footprint possible.
I tend to wear the drysuit onto the boat (less to carry on) but it is likely only up halfway if it is at all hot. Once we get near the site, it gets pulled on the rest of the way as I gear up and my buddy zips me up (rear zip). The rest of my gear will be under the bench (normally there are boxes for gear) or attached to my tank.

Check the boat/operation’s website for anything extra they might want to tell you/ask of you.

When at the dive site, take a minute before starting out to look at your compass, orient yourself and make sure the dive you understood you were gonna make jibes with what you see around you and what your compass says.
I’ve had that bewildering moment until a crew member nicely explained ”we’re not diving that reef; we’re diving that one there” and suddenly the briefing directions made MUCH more sense.

Esp. if the briefing never mentioned compass directions (reef left shoulder out, right should coming back), It’s nice to know what is what direction from where just in case you later wished you knew.

Some of the commonest ways to violate #9
" Beest thou not the diver who feeling compelled must needs talketh poo about any given charter, charterer, configuration of gear, divesite, agency of certification, vessel, manufacturer of gear or indeed any aspect of trips past nor present but in as kind of terms as possible. And lest ye be full ignorant, leave also the discussion of politics, religion and culture for another time and place more apropos, say to thine own self in quiet reflection and self flagellation "

Six pages and counting. You guys must be a lot of fun on surface intervals. Keep in mind that without the newbie / clueless / once-a-year divers you would not have access to nearly as many (or as cheap) boats. And many of you "captains" would not have a job. Around zero of those people will read this thread.

The thread was started, I think, to discuss dive boat etiquette. I don't think anyone has put down anyone or made an effort to insult anyone. These are things that allot of "captains" or us former "captains" have witnessed on multiple occasions. Some things are annoyances for other passengers and some are unsafe.

Hopefully some new divers, who may wonder what goes on on a boat, are lurking and can glean a little bit info from our banter.

Trust me, all of these "captains" know exactly where their livelihood comes from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom