The realities of Artifact Hunting... The cold hard truth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artifact diving in Sydney Harbour between the Sydney Opera House and Fort Denison [you stay on the bottom and use a compass due the boat traffic] , found , old bottles, and rifles [ww1 and 2, both in a bad way], chain saw and lots of other stuff, but a few thing in Oz wants to sting , eat or sap you, bumped by a bull shark [told me to 'bugger off', which I did] and "hit" with one of these Underwater Sydney - Numb Ray Numb Ray, not nice.
Over Artifact diving now.

Please remember to check the local laws. In Florida, artifacts over fifty years and fossils of any vertebrates require a permit. I'm not trying to debate the merits of finding cool stuff on the bottom, I'm just stating the facts.

Don't take this the wrong way but that has nothing to do with what we are talking about here....I take offense and almost think your insinuating I am doing something wrong.

No, no, I applaud you finding all that you find. I don't agree with all the laws restricting the retrieval of artifacts from rivers and other bodies of water. But this thread is about the REALITIES of diving for artifacts. Local laws vary and they are indeed a reality when you pursue any hobby. Best to figure it out before you get stopped.

FWIW, I have no idea what the laws are in NC. I'm sure you do!

Your swimming in your local river and you see a Spanish Gold coin from the 1700s laying on the bottom... Do you pick it up or leave because of the law? Yeah right!! I have a Archaeological License to retrieve Fossils and Artifacts....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom