Drysuit suggestions for moderate to warm-water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do T1 in Europe without dry gloves...South of Europe is not that cold in summer :)

Very true; Sicily is actually hot in summer, and warm enough the whole year that people use wet gloves basically always.

Hi @Xaman Ha, where are you in Europe? Also, what kind of dives do you do? Boat dives? Shore dives? Lake or seaside? Do you usually have some facilities to get dressed?

This kind of information can be useful - because depending on them you can decide whether to use a suit that is very resistant or not (very resistant -> heavier and, usually, not on the budget side)

If most of the dives on the seaside from a boat, I would probably evaluate an Avatar (never tested, but I know an Ambassador, also a GUE instructor, and I would probably ask him to give me some info). Regarding the gloves, I would go for wet gloves. Probably I would go for integrated boots, which are more comfortable than neoprene sock (you put on the suit, and you are done) - they are more prone to leaking than neoprene socks as far as I know, but if environmental conditions are not harsh, this should not be an issue.

All the other details also depends on the temperature outside the water. In a warm climate, maybe latex seals are not the best option. I have never tried neoprene or silicon, so I cannot help you here. Keep in mind that seals also depends on your body type, especially the shape (you can see different shapes here: Seals - Products - SI-TECH)

Regarding the p-valve. I have two, one on each of my dry-suit, and never used them; my longest dive is a bit more than 2h... now, I have them because, for long (1h30'+) dives with deco, they may come useful, and I need to be ready since I sometimes do this dives. But if you do not plan to do this kind of dives, it's a waste of money, in my opinion.

Breathability: if the outside is warm, you will not wear the drysuit, or at least you will keep it open; be sure that suspenders/braces work well (sorry, I have no idea what's the right word in English :) )

Lastly, there might be cheaper options than what you mentioned, like ScubaPro (I got a second-hand ScubaPro dry-suit for 600€ - although I prefer my Ursuit heavy-light, it was a nice deal, and it works well as a backup; I survived and passed a tech1 course with it)

Small Note: breathability makes more sense for advanced cave dives with sumps; in these cases, sometimes people need to get out of the water, walk a bit, and then dive again -> this is when breathability is fundamental. Now, I am not an expert, and maybe there are other situations when it is advantageous; also, it's a matter of preferences, but for me, it does not make sense in any other situation :)

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback so far, definitely some food for thought! Feel free to keep the suggestions coming :eyebrow:

I'm honestly not too sure about dry glove capabilities, I don't see myself in very cold waters anytime soon and could do T1 in SEA, since I'm half-based there. I'll think about it, though.

@ginti My dives are both shore and boat dives, 90% ocean. Based in Germany, but the European diving will be Southern Europe (Italy, Malta, Canary Islands and the like). Air temperatures 20C / 68F and above.

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback so far, definitely some food for thought! Feel free to keep the suggestions coming :eyebrow:

I'm honestly not too sure about dry glove capabilities, I don't see myself in very cold waters anytime soon and could do T1 in SEA, since I'm half-based there. I'll think about it, though.

@ginti My dives are both shore and boat dives, 90% ocean. Based in Germany, but the European diving will be Southern Europe (Italy, Malta, Canary Islands and the like). Air temperatures 20C / 68F and above.

Cool diving spots! May I ask you where specifically in Italy? I strongly suggest a trip to east Sicily, there are so many things to see as a tourist and there is a beautiful GUE diving centre close to Siracusa. And food is something coming from another (and better) universe, especially desserts.

Given this info, I can assume that you are not going to put a lot of stress on the suit - so I would stay low on budget. I would prioritize the lighter suit since apparently you travel a lot. Do you have info about the weight?

P.S. What is "SEA"?

Cool diving spots!

Thanks for your recommendation! I'd definitely want to check out Sicily. So far, I haven't dived in Italy at all. Other than Sicily, spots like Elba, Sardinia, Portofino and Amalfi all seem interesting.

I would prioritize the lighter suit since apparently you travel a lot. Do you have info about the weight?
I have not been able to find any info regarding the weight of the Seaskin Nova, perhaps one of its owners could chime in? @lexvil @bobmaggi The other "budet" suits all weigh about 3kg / 6.6lbs, the Avatar being slightly below, the Rofos right around it and the Waterproof slightly above.

P.S. What is "SEA"?
South-East Asia :D

Thanks for your recommendation! I'd definitely want to check out Sicily. So far, I haven't dived in Italy at all. Other than Sicily, spots like Elba, Sardinia, Portofino and Amalfi all seem interesting.

I have not been able to find any info regarding the weight of the Seaskin Nova, perhaps one of its owners could chime in? @lexvil @bobmaggi The other "budet" suits all weigh about 3kg / 6.6lbs, the Avatar being slightly below, the Rofos right around it and the Waterproof slightly above.

South-East Asia :D
While I can go out and weigh mine, keeping in mind I’m 6’5” 235 lbs so there is more suit to weigh for someone smaller and less than for someone bigger. 7.5 lbs with RoLock dry glove suit side ring on it.

Just send an email to customer service to get the info you need.

Another thing: if you have the money, you could be interested in them:
Quick Neck - Modular Solutions - Products - SI-TECH
Quick Cuff - Modular Solutions - Products - SI-TECH

It allows you to switch seals in case you need it (usually when you break them, but even if you change the environment and you want to adapt your suit to the different conditions)

I have been pretty happy with my Seaskin Nova trilam, with Fourth element J2 base layer as my only undergarment for water from 30 down to 22, below that I will add a fleece top or pants or both down to 18-19, the coldest I have dived here.

Oh, temps are all Celsius/Centigrade

Any special reasons to exclude crushed neoprene from your choices? I personally find a snug fitting neoprene more comfortable for warmer water than trilam. Trilam I prefer for cold water. Most of the trilams come with latex or silicon seals, so you would have to custom order neoprene seals and it will add to the cost. I also don't like walking around in undergarments like a convict on a dive boat, with neoprene I don't wear undergarments instead a jogging trousers and long sleeve cotton shirt is mostly sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom