Do you need to take Reg off Pony when not diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I did take the Reg off after 5 months, some saltwater dives in January. Couldn't get it off by hand but using a channel lock pliers came off easily. Salty residue on threads that I cleaned. I have a dust cap on my yoke valve on normal reg. Is there a dust cap for Din Reg? I don't have one.

Your DIN reg should have come with a dust cap for it. As for one to protect the valve threads, any tank cap will theoretically work.
If you had to use channel locks to get the reg off, you're possibly setting yourself up for a costly fix at some point. I'll leave regs on my stage bottles in the spring/summer because they are in fresh water often. But, after each dive day I take them off, dry the threads after rinsing, and then put them back on. Overkill? Maybe. But it takes a minute to do and I don't have to worry about using tools to get them off.

Yeah, I found the dust cap that came with the DIN pony reg. I took it off 5 months ago because it was one more thing to deal with. Still learning. Thanks for the replies.

I usually just drop my pony’s inverted into a bucket of water after use, only take the reg off when refilling. A few times a year I’ll take them off to check for salt and clean when needed.

I breath down my bailouts and deco tanks to keep them in use, then wash with all my other gear that way I know there going to work when I need them. Do people not breath down a pony?

For many solo divers diving on a single tank, their pony serves as a backup with an independent first & second stage regulator. To a degree, it replaces the redundancy of a buddy on a single tank. To that end, the solo diver uses the pony about as frequently as a non-solo diver uses their buddy's reg -seldom if ever.

Comes off, except multi days diving on a trip, only dive in salt water here, can't remember the last time I splashed in fresh water.

Roll up roll up roll up, and here we are again in the solo circus section
And today we have farming implements utilised for off tank reg taking

the solo diver uses the pony about as frequently as a non-solo diver uses their buddy's reg -seldom if ever.

"That's not a solo diver. That's not a diver at all."

For many solo divers diving on a single tank, their pony serves as a backup with an independent first & second stage regulator. To a degree, it replaces the redundancy of a buddy on a single tank. To that end, the solo diver uses the pony about as frequently as a non-solo diver uses their buddy's reg -seldom if ever.
I think if I was to use a pony like that, Id use it with 1 second stage and switch to it on my way to the surface just to get into using it like I was using independents.

That's a diver

their pony serves as a backup with an independent first & second stage regulator

Yeah with this pressed against your eye it can read ambiguously

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom