Where to dive in Bavaria (Germany)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmhhh ..... are you being serious? such strict ruling?!?
Unfortunately yes. The Bavarian "water law" explicitliy states which uses of public water bodies are common use and diving is not one of them. Therefore there need to be a local ruling that specifies where and when it is allowed.

If I am right, with a 7mm semi-dry, you will be able to dive only in summer and only in the shallowest part of the lake/quarry/whatever - except if your resistance to cold is exceptional. Also, you may need a light.
Well, I'm only planning to dive for fun and to know someone over there, I'm certainly going to plan something with the most favourable conditions first. In the future ... will see.
And yes, I do already have two flashlights :)

As far as I know, in Germany, there are quite active "dir" groups, at least with ISE and GUE (and maybe UTD?). Since you are interested in bp/w configuration, trim and all these skills (are you still interested in these things?),
I'm aware of the the ISE being active in Germany but I'm not going to compare/confront myself to them in any way, not at this stage. I need some more experience (and attend a few more basic courses) first in order to join any kind of technical training in the first place.
But of course, I'm still into the DIR approach, I tend to agree with quite a few of its ideas.

And yes, I did buy a BP/W (it's a basic DIR style one, which I enjoy sooo much!) and I'm starting to find an acceptable (again: acceptable, not good) trim configuration.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Some background:
As Germay is a federal state, there are 16 different laws that regulate where you are allowed to dive on puplic grounds.
If the dive site is privately owend, the "my house, my rules" applies. As they are liable if something happens, they usually require a cert and a medical self statement; there are also some that are more or less "open" and no checks are done. Some of the more advanced sites have even banned certain certification agencies due to a lack in trust that the education is good enough.
On public land, it's either "dive unless forbidden" or "no dive unless allowed"; Bavaria falls into the later. Two of the best lakes in Bavaria (Starnberger See East and Walchensee) are even more complicated, as different dive sites have different rules and access by car is restricted.
If you join a dive center for one of their outings, it again comes down to liability, so they need to check if you are fit do dive. If you go diving on your own, there is even no requirement to have any kind of certification at all :).

As for Austria, again there is a difference between privately owned and public land. Blindsee for example charges an etry fee, Fernsteinsee (and the most beautifull Sameranger See) require you to stay 2 nights minimum at their hotel and you have to have proof of a certain amount of dives.
The lakes under control of the ÖBF require a DiveCard to be bought and adhere to certain rules.

"It's complicated" is an understatement :wink:
That's all very interesting to know, thanks :)

I'm aware of the the ISE being active in Germany but I'm not going to compare/confront myself to them in any way, not at this stage. I need some more experience (and attend a few more basic courses) first in order to join any kind of technical training in the first place.

I wouldn't think about "comparing yourself with them". I would see it as "knowing some interesting people". I bet most of their dives are recreational, and they will be more than happy to welcome new divers. This is true for sure in the case of GUE (at least in all the country I have been to Italy, the UK, France, Belgium, Switzerland), and I have no reason to believe that ISE is different. That said, it's your choice; whatever you choose, have fun!

Most lakes in germany, that are deeper then a few meters, require 2 first stages.
The visibility can range from nothing to 10m depending on the lake. Most fall into the category "nothing to 2m".

I would check, which lakes you want to dive and if you need 2 first stages.
7mm semi dry is good for summer diving. But deeper then 10m is normally too cold for diving wet. (yes of course, there is always this one guy, that dives a shorty in Antarctica..)

Diving here is really cool. But completely different from warm water ocean diving..
If you never dived cold dark and low vis.. Stay shallow first. Usually deeper then 5m there is no fish and plants anyway

As you can probaly imagine, diving in Germany is year around cold and dark. It’s nothing where you should just jump in with coral
reef experience/ equipment (forget about the legal discussion above. There are lakes where you are allowed to dive with or without a dive center). You have to go for a Dry suit and without a question for 2 separate first stages!
Anyhow, if this is your thing, it‘s the coolest thing you will ever have done in your life.🙂
If you are from the States, imagine Great Lakes climate. The lakes are year around 4-6 degree
celsius cold if you go deeper than 20m/ 60ft. „Unfortunately“ the deeper you go, the better is visibility usually.
Awesome Lake in Bavaria: Walchensee. Not
in Bavaria but not that far: Lake Constance, Tons of divable „mountain“ lakes in Austria and
Switzerland.

Back
Top Bottom