NEW Sherwood The Crux, any thoughts, opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R.Gabriel

Registered
Reaction score
images.jpeg

Any thoughts, opinion? I've been looking for my first bcd for some time and I came across this new model from SHERWOOD, but besides the website itself I couldn't get any more detailed information or user opinion.

I was buying the SP Hydro pro, but after I learned more about bcd's I ended up removing Hydro pro from my list because I think I can get more bcd for less, I even thought about bp/wing models like Xdeep and Halcyon but because it is mine first bcd i'm a little afraid to go that way. The modularity of these models bp/wing type are what catch my attention and probably in the long run they served me better, but also because of the modularity I also get a little scared because I don't have knowledge.

People here will most likely suggest a BP/W over a jacket type BCD any day. If you are interested in it, take a look. You can get a lot more from a BP/W for a lot less money.

View attachment 643854
Any thoughts, opinion? I've been looking for my first bcd for some time and I came across this new model from SHERWOOD, but besides the website itself I couldn't get any more detailed information or user opinion.

I was buying the SP Hydro pro, but after I learned more about bcd's I ended up removing Hydro pro from my list because I think I can get more bcd for less, I even thought about bp/wing models like Xdeep and Halcyon but because it is mine first bcd i'm a little afraid to go that way. The modularity of these models bp/wing type are what catch my attention and probably in the long run they served me better, but also because of the modularity I also get a little scared because I don't have knowledge.

What about this BCD caught your attention? Proper fit is important with jacket style so you should see what your local dive shops have available so you can try one on.

What about this BCD caught your attention? Proper fit is important with jacket style so you should see what your local dive shops have available so you can try one on.

some of the features of the SHERWOOD Crux is that it appears to have a micro adjustment system, points for adjusting the shoulder part separate from the waist, good lift and streamlined design. But as I said, I am willing to see halcyon's and xdeep system as well. I would really like an opinion from a user. I live in Brazil, I do not have access to most of these models so this part of choosing products is more difficult:wink:

It is a back inflate BC, it has 40-50 lbs of lift, I don't see any D-rings on the front.... I'm not sure what attributes it provides that would make it a good choice.

It appears to have no solid pack. I have found BC's like that to offer way too little stability of the tank for my liking. The Youtube video made by Sherwood to promote this BC implies that the BC should be fully inflated when entering the water to squeeze the tank in place and provide extra stability when it is needed most (on entry from a boat). I find that suggestion ridiculous for several reasons.

I have no idea if it is expensive, but I don't grasp any unique qualities that would stir my enthusiasm for the product.

I'm not a giant proponent of BP/W. I HATE a HOG harness and much prefer cross chest strap and adjustability, but one of the most important features for me is stability of the tank, decent quality, and a bladder that is sized appropriately for the tank and wetsuit I am using and I personally need D-rings to be available and located at the right locations. I wear normal BC's and BP/W's.

There are good reasons to NOT want a back inflate BC (or BP/W), but if you want a back inflate type BC, I think I would be first looking at a BP/W option.

It is a back inflate BC, it has 40-50 lbs of lift, I don't see any D-rings on the front.... I'm not sure what attributes it provides that would make it a good choice.

It appears to have no solid pack. I have found BC's like that to offer way too little stability of the tank for my liking. The Youtube video made by Sherwood to promote this BC implies that the BC should be fully inflated when entering the water to squeeze the tank in place and provide extra stability when it is needed most (on entry from a boat). I find that suggestion ridiculous for several reasons.

I have no idea if it is expensive, but I don't grasp any unique qualities that would stir my enthusiasm for the product.

I'm not a giant proponent of BP/W. I HATE a HOG harness and much prefer cross chest strap and adjustability, but one of the most important features for me is stability of the tank, decent quality, and a bladder that is sized appropriately for the tank and wetsuit I am using and I personally need D-rings to be available and located at the right locations. I wear normal BC's and BP/W's.

There are good reasons to NOT want a back inflate BC (or BP/W), but if you want a back inflate type BC, I think I would be first looking at a BP/W option.

ok sir, thanks for the thoughts, i will continue my search for a good one

What type of diving will you be doing? What equipment can you get there? Traveling all the time? Wetsuit? Drysuit?

It was funny when I first saw the title...

I knew Crux as a lacrosse stick head made by STX....

What type of diving will you be doing? What equipment can you get there? Traveling all the time? Wetsuit? Drysuit?

At first rec but I will certainly do all the tec path, it is a path that interests me a lot. More later this year I will start a professional shallow diver course, so yes I am preparing to be a commercial diver. So I am also looking to buy equipment that will serve me for the future.

For now the equipment to be purchased will be: Apeks MTX-RC Regulator + MTX-RC Octo. Shearwater PERDIX AI Computer and probably one more computer as a back up maybe a Teric. and 5mm wetsuit + hood and etc.

Back
Top Bottom