DIR Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekender:
Make fun of it all you want but its actually a great site and Rich is a good guy for maintaining it.

Then Rich really needs to take the cotton out of his ears and maybe actually give an open mind and cohesive thought to the practices he so ridiculously criticizes, before presenting himself as a self-described authority on the subjects.

As it stands, he has no credibility in my mind, nor would I give him any. You claim it's a resource - It looks more like a poorly designed soapbox.

From Boogie711

before presenting himself as a self-described authority on the subjects.

And that's the problem. It's written from one specific viewpoint, and presented in a format that seems professional and well put together.

There is the potential that, when viewed by a novice diver, this information could be taken as valid, with possible negative conseqences.

It's our responsibility as the community to conduct a peer review of his material. If it can withstand the criticism of the diving community, then we can accept it as valid. If not, it should be changed, at least to reflect that the answer is correct... in certain limited circumstances.

-B.

ok, after reading both boogie and fairbank's quotes i decided to read what offended them so much on njscuba.net. Wow, i have to admit his opinion is very anti-dir and a bit offensive to any open minded person. i didnt know that when i stated i liked the site. i never read that section but am man enough to admit i should not of said anything. im not anti and dont want to look like i am defending rich's opinions. truth is, i really dont care. i dont take anything on the net nearly as serious as others. no offense intended but i visit this and hunting sites to kill time during a slow trading day. i really could care less what rich says about DIR, or anything as long as he keeps his links up to date. but i feel i should mention that i NOW agree with boogie and fairbanks that his opinions are rather closed minded. however, i think you guys take this stuff way to serious and must have less to do at work than me. :wink: .

You mean it's really not a spoof ???

Oh my ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry Bob, but that site has been around for a while...

Tamas:
But it seems that it is down now.
It could be just the traffic that is coming from here. I was having trouble earlier...but the site is working fine now. (for me anyways)

cornfed:
Sorry Bob, but that site has been around for a while...

No need to apologize ... I spend more time than I can afford here, so I don't have time to browse too many other sites.

I just figured anybody promoting the idea that cylinders on a DIR rig are held together with beer cans and weight belt webbing had to have a sense of humor ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And it's not just that DIR divers would take issue with many of his statements... ordinary educated recreational divers like myself find problems with it too.

His opinion isn't DIR... it isn't Rec... it's not even really Tech... it's just kinda... Jersey.

"Eeeeyy.. whatcha lookin at? This is LEGITIMATE diving philosophy! Vinnie, Knuckles, show him how we do legitimate!"

-B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom